logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Camuel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 7:00:38 AM(UTC)
Camuel

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

I'm running VMix 23.54 through a Presonus StudioLive Series III mixer. The mixer is connected to Windows 10 over USB and I have added it as an aggregate sound device. Using VMix Call, my caller can hear herself with an echo. I tested it at home between my Windows desktop and a Macbook Pro and got it to work as I wanted, with no feedback on the Macbook Pro.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I've been at this since 3pm this afternoon and it's now just after 10. I'm giving up for the night and thought I'd drop a question in before I go.

Thanks.
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 4:48:46 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Hi Camuel,

if you run the call input through your mixer and back into vMix, the automatic mix minus for the caller won't work.

Otherwise you'd have to describe your setup and routing a bit closer, and maybe upload a screenshot of the vMix Audio Mixer and the Audio Output settings.

Edit: Just saw "themselves" in the post title. How many callers are online when she hears the echo?
Camuel  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 5:55:13 PM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

Thanks for responding! It's just one caller.

I'm about to test it again with a different caller to see if the same thing happens, just to make sure that it's something at my end. What has me confused is that it works fine between my hosting PC and my Macbook Pro at home when the MBP is calling in over the Internet.

I'll come back and report in an hour or so.
Camuel  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 7:31:36 PM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

Same deal with a different caller. It's certainly something to do with my routing and I'm sure there must be a fix, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out!

See if you can see anything in these screenshots that I can change to give my caller a mix minus. I'm at my wits' end with this!

Audio Settings

Capture 2

Capture 3
simonemessina  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:46:01 AM(UTC)
simonemessina

Italy

Still wonder if vmix will allow the user to add one or more of their physical microphone as part of the vmix call environment. I mean as far as you can't add any of your physical microphones into the vmix call as " ghost source" or something like that the mix-minus won't ever work on that mic... The worst part of the system is that you can't do it, so if you want to not have feedback for the callers you have to use inear monitors only , instead using a speaker for feedback of their voices... skype works diffrently for example, but hadn't the flexibilty of vmix call which allows you to chose not only the audio buss but also the video feed you send for every caller.
KnKproductions  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:10:41 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
to confirm your audio routing....

all audio from vmix is going into the presonus mixer,
all audio from the presonus mixer is going back into vmix?

It looks to be that way and since both the mixer-to-vmix and the caller are on Master Bus, the caller will indeed hear themselves.

Are you able to separate the channels in the presonus? If so, try a mix-minus on the presonus using the aux or fx channels (not sure what they are labeled on that mixer).

Also what is your audio routing for your mic/headphone? I figure it's going into the mixer and you monitor through the mixer as well?

If it makes you feel better, I had to set the same +3db gain on the DAC :)
dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 5:21:13 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 107 post(s)
Hi Camuel,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Presonus Mixer yet. As KnKproductions wrote, you will probably have to dig into the routing of the Mixer, especially how USB sends and returns are handled. This might take some time. If you have some information for us, like KnK wrote, we can surely help.

If you need a quick fix in the meantime, you can do the following:

- Set your Master Output in vMix settings to Enabled, so it is just used internally, like for streaming, recording and return feed for the callers. Or do you want to use the vMix output for something else, like speakers?
- Set your Headphones in vMix settings to the output your are currently using for Bus A. This is probably the headphones output of your mainboard. Use that for monitoring.
- That way vMix won't send anything back to you mixer, and you callers won't hear themselves.
- What do you want to use Bus A for? You can also set it to Enabled for starters.

This is not the best use of the mixer, but as said above, it would give you some time to figure things out. Hope it helps.
Camuel  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:55:00 AM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: KnKproductions Go to Quoted Post
to confirm your audio routing....

all audio from vmix is going into the presonus mixer,
all audio from the presonus mixer is going back into vmix?

That's right.

Are you able to separate the channels in the presonus? If so, try a mix-minus on the presonus using the aux or fx channels (not sure what they are labeled on that mixer).

The PC audio is routed to the Presonus over USB using the Tape-in channels on 37/38.

I had real trouble figuring out how to route all the channels into the PC over USB to any software other than Presonus Studio One, but Joe Gilder put out a video that showed how to do it using a matrix mix. So basically you send the master bus to the PC. I've figured a way of sending a submix to the PC that doesn't include the tape channel, so I'll need to try that when I've got someone I can test it with.

Also what is your audio routing for your mic/headphone? I figure it's going into the mixer and you monitor through the mixer as well?

Yes, exactly that.

My goal is to run an open mic so that guests can hear me and I can hear them in a back channel while another player is going out live. I'm sure it must be achievable with the hardware that I have. Honestly, I feel so out my depth with this, so having support here is golden.

I spent a lot of my weekend working with a trial of Wirecast and it has more audio options than VMix, although it is also more expensive.

Thank you for coming back and responding to my questions. Audio routing is hard!
KnKproductions  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:48:05 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

We'll get you squared away, it is simply audio routing.

Try this...

-In vmix audio settings, change Bus A to "enabled",
-Can leave the headphones and main output as the presonus.
-Remove the audio input for the presonus in vmix
-Flip your mic to AUX1 in the mixer, run AUX1 direct to the microphone port on the pc (you'll probably need a separate cable to do this)
-Add the audio source for the pc microphone port in vmix
-Put everything except your mic on vmix Bus A and Master
-Put your audio source (your microphone port on the PC) on Bus A only
-Send the caller Bus A

Now, any sound coming from the pc goes to the mixer and you hear it in the monitor/headphones and does not return to vmix (no more feedback for callers). You'll still be able to monitor your input to the mixer as well.
Any other audio sources that go into the mixer must also go to AUX1 as well.
thanks 1 user thanked KnKproductions for this useful post.
Camuel on 5/14/2020(UTC)
Camuel  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:08:07 AM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

Thanks so much for all your help with this. I'm half-way there. Your post gave me an idea of using a submix on the Presonus that excludes the computer audio. I just tested it with with my open mic co-host and it worked!

The next thing I have to figure out is how to have a back-channel chat so that I can talk to guests that are logged in but not have their or my audio go out through the live stream. How would I go about that? We're doing a two-person test open mic on Saturday, but planning on opening it up to more participants the following week. It would be great to have a back channel to talk to talk among the guests that are waiting to go live, like a virtual green room.

I tell you something though - having this forum here and having such amazing support is huge for me in deciding on what software to go with! Looks like VMix is the bomb!

Thanks.
KnKproductions  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:36:00 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Glad you found your way!

for back channel chat, put them on a different audio bus. in the settings, set bus B and C to 'enabled'. Then put the guests on the alternate busses. Might be easier to call them 'channels' for this purpose.

Example, channel B (audio bus B) has the next two guests off-air but on-call. Their audio is set to only Bus B, and so is yours which allows you to talk directly with them. Switch them to your main output channel when they go live.

I'm free on saturday if you want a third guest :)
thanks 1 user thanked KnKproductions for this useful post.
Camuel on 5/17/2020(UTC)
Camuel  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 2:28:43 AM(UTC)
Camuel

United Kingdom

The stream worked out in as much as the caller couldn't hear herself, but she ended up coming over her MacBook Pro internal mic and not her USB audio interface and I'm not sure why. We did a test on Streamyard, and all she had to do was select her USB device for audio and it worked instantly. She's using Garageband as an audio processor, basically to add reverb to her mic, and it worked really well in Streamyard.

I've tried talking her through changing her system audio on the MBP, but it's not making a difference, so I'm running some tests myself on my own MBP with a USB interface and Garageband and calling into my VMix hosting session on my Windows box. I'm getting decent audio through the mic, but no FX from Garageband. I'm trying to figure it out with a product called Loopback from Rogue Ameoba, but so far, no luck.

Fun this audio stuff, huh?