logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
donebrasko  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:58:18 AM(UTC)
donebrasko

Groups: Registered
United States

The video quality when coming through Vmix is not the same quality as what I see on my preview monitor thats running through my blackmagic board. Its noticeably different. I feel like its something that I missed. If I am playing a video or showing pictures from the computer the quality is fine. Its just everything coming from my board. I have tried different boards (roland hd) and capture cards (elgato adn Magwell) and the results are the same. This is through streaming, recording, and just watching on the screen on the right.

Any help would be appreciated.
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 3:41:48 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Where is is low? In your FullScreen monitor? External output?

Fullscreen is normal, it's only designed for preview. External should be the same unless conversion is happening. De-interlacing, etc.

What are your system frame rate, input frame rate?
donebrasko  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 5:30:13 AM(UTC)
donebrasko

United States

The quality in the VMIX output window is lower than the preview monitor coming from my video switcher.

This is what the streaming and recording quality looks like:

The quality on my preview monitor is 1080p and is much sharper than whateveryone sees.

I think the frame rate is 29

Where do I go to find this?
Vince Beck  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 6:31:44 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

"VMIX output window is lower than the preview monitor coming from my video switcher."

If you mean your fullscreen output VIA HDMI, that's normal, this is only designed for multiview and to save resources. To see a true output quality, you'll need to use an external output (Setup at the bottom of your screen).

For example, we use a Thunderbolt out to an AJA IO4K with SDI out which shows full quality. Other options include Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini.

If you record locally at a nice bitrate like 20 Mb/s, you should also get a nice quality render which you could then upload to Youtube after your stream is over.

Your stream quality is fully dependent on your encode quality, at 1080 30P, anything under 8 Mb/s will start showing artifacts.

On top of that, Youtube recompresses it, and right now it compresses very high/fast to keep up with high live streaming demand.
donebrasko  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:03:19 AM(UTC)
donebrasko

United States

So when I hit record through Vmix and not stream, I still get the low quality.

I'm going to reread your post and see if I can understand it. I'm new to a lot of this stuff.
Vince Beck  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:04:39 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Can you post your encode settings for record and Stream? Bitrate, format etc, or a screenshot?

Also, what format is your camera input? 1080i / p? Frame rate?
Does that match your input settings?
donebrasko  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:06:49 AM(UTC)
donebrasko

United States

Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
"VMIX output window is lower than the preview monitor coming from my video switcher."

If you mean your fullscreen output VIA HDMI, that's normal, this is only designed for multiview and to save resources. To see a true output quality, you'll need to use an external output (Setup at the bottom of your screen).

For example, we use a Thunderbolt out to an AJA IO4K with SDI out which shows full quality. Other options include Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini.

If you record locally at a nice bitrate like 20 Mb/s, you should also get a nice quality render which you could then upload to Youtube after your stream is over.

Your stream quality is fully dependent on your encode quality, at 1080 30P, anything under 8 Mb/s will start showing artifacts.

On top of that, Youtube recompresses it, and right now it compresses very high/fast to keep up with high live streaming demand.

"Your stream quality is fully dependent on your encode quality, at 1080 30P, anything under 8 Mb/s will start showing artifacts."

When you say under 8 Mb/s are you referring to the internet upload speed?

donebrasko  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 7:12:31 AM(UTC)
donebrasko

United States

Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
Can you post your encode settings for record and Stream? Bitrate, format etc, or a screenshot?

Does that match your input settings?

Where do I find this?

Im not sure but I think they are both set at 1080 p I know the frame rate is 29... something.
I have played hd video from a computer connected to my Blackmagic board and it does the same thing when it comes to the quality. To get better quality, I have to play the video from the same computer that I am using Vmix on.

Vince Beck  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2020 8:54:29 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

You get to the stream settings by clicking on the stream gear. Record from the recording gear. You should see something like 1.5 Mb/s by default which is very low.

"To get better quality, I have to play the video from the same computer that I am using Vmix on."
Not sure about that, that sounds like a totally different issue.
sautiKuu Tv  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2020 3:39:51 PM(UTC)
sautiKuu Tv

Tanzania, United Republic Of

I have the same problem, am using Zasluke 4K Capture Card, all videos coming from this capture are of low quality, but images from desktop appear fine, i don't know the problem i need help
sautiKuu Tv  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2020 3:51:50 PM(UTC)
sautiKuu Tv

Tanzania, United Republic Of

free.png (310kb) downloaded 6 time(s). This is the screenshot of my live streaming, In this image, the background is sharp and clear, but the man in the image is not clear, low quality it is from Zasluke 4K Capture Card 3.0, am wondering is my capture card bad or am missing something...help plz