logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kalamus  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 10:16:12 AM(UTC)
kalamus

Groups: Registered
United States

We just did two shows via Vmix Call for a high profile client and had massive issues with Vmix call on the 2nd show of the day at 3pm CT US - 5pm CT US.

I posted on the other thread out outtages with Vmix call in Europe as well.

Vmix call had insane lag of 10-15 seconds for all callers. It was unusable and we had to cancel the 2nd show. Is this something that needs to be addressed on the server side for Vmix? We did several tests from other people with excellent internet connectivity and speeds and they encountered the same issues after the show was cancelled. Are we just seeing overloading of Vmix servers at this time of day? Our first show was 11am - 2pm CT US and we didnt have any issues.

Would really like to have some help with this as we have several other shoots lined up this month with Vmix Pro being used as the main backbone for taking call in feeds.

Anyone else having these types of issues with Vmix Call being unusable with delay and drop outs?
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 11:35:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

If you follow our best practices of ensuring direct connections, you will not experience these connection issues:
https://www.vmix.com/kno...on-issues-with-vmix-call

See step 5 in particular for diagnosting direct connections.

We do see on our servers someone attempting to send very high bandwidth callers through our TURN server
the past three hours, which is not going to work too well as our server is to be used as a last resort, so we must insist
customers review the above and make sure they are not being restricted by firewalls for mission critical productions.

(Delays of longer than 1 second mean either the guest side or vMix side is completely blocking UDP)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
mjgraves on 5/2/2020(UTC)
PaulS  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 12:24:06 PM(UTC)
PaulS

United States

Yup, I just ran into this myself tonight at around 8 PM Eastern. Had several callers whose audio was lagging 3-5 seconds behind their video, and others who were hearing a lot of distortion on their audio. We resorted to using Skype and piping in inputs via NDI.

I guess I'll be switching all my calls to require peer-to-peer connections. I hope that works and doesn't cause any problems, because this was totally unusable.
kalamus  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 12:44:13 PM(UTC)
kalamus

United States

Thanks for the reply, Martin.

I understand that Peer to Peer is preferable but sometimes this isnt possible with certain less tech savvy clients and without a person there to tech things due to shelter-in-place measures we cant always rely on peer to peer.

In this other thread with a similar issue in Europe you and another admin replied. The 2nd admin said they would spin up more servers to help with this load so it sounds like you should have stable servers in these situations.

Is there any way to check the health of your servers in cases where peer to peer isnt feasbile? Linked the forum post in question below.

https://forums.vmix.com/...-downtime-on-Apr-28-2020
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 5:52:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Just to confirm in the Europe case there were no outages on our servers and haven't been for quite some time.
We started up additional servers out of an abundance of caution, but there wasn't a specific issue we could identify other than more calls using TURN servers (i.e behind restrictive firewalls) than usual.

So we will certainly increase the servers for North America as well just in case, but I have to reiterate that if productions are mission critical, firewalls
need to be sorted out ahead of time, and if this is not possible then congestion should be anticipated as a possibility during peak times in your region.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Paul_WCP  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2020 7:24:45 PM(UTC)
Paul_WCP

Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

So we will certainly increase the servers for North America as well just in case, but I have to reiterate that if productions are mission critical, firewalls
need to be sorted out ahead of time, and if this is not possible then congestion should be anticipated as a possibility during peak times in your region.

thanks for looking into this.
But tbh isn't this highly unlikely a congestion problem when we switch with the same speaker to zoom/skype/younameit we are able get a good connection with high bitrate video and only vmixcall seems to be problematic?
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2020 12:56:36 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Paul_WCP Go to Quoted Post

thanks for looking into this.
But tbh isn't this highly unlikely a congestion problem when we switch with the same speaker to zoom/skype/younameit we are able get a good connection with high bitrate video and only vmixcall seems to be problematic?

Using another service causes the connection to use a very different routing, very possibly avoiding the congestion point. This is the nature of how the internet works.

It has NOTHING at all to do with vMix Call. Nor is there anything that they can do about it.
ross_flux  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:47:48 AM(UTC)
ross_flux

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to jump in here that last Wednesday we had the exact same issue on a production from the UK. We had 15-30 seconds of lag on 2 of our remote callers, it started low but just kept climbing. Enabling direct connections didn't fix this. Both callers that experienced issues were in different parts of the country, working from home and had 10mbps up and down minimum speeds. We had no issue with SRT but can't always jump on remote contributors computers and install software.

We have 3 pro licenses and are now having to explore different products for our requirements which isn't ideal seeing as we have paid for this solution. I just want to check, with so many issues worldwide over the last week are you sure there is nothing vMix call side that could have caused this issue?
thanks 1 user thanked ross_flux for this useful post.
phil_thom on 5/5/2020(UTC)
ross_flux  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:59:13 AM(UTC)
ross_flux

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just noticed the document about firewalls for direct connections and wonder if there was an issue with the STUN/TURN servers.

When using direct connections do you really have to open all the ports from 49152-65535?! That does seem like an insane amount of ports to just leave open when this may be getting used in broadcast critical MCR solutions. Is there no way to select a single port within that range and just use that?

Thanks,

Ross
KnKproductions  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2020 1:39:44 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
What video settings are you sending them? Anyone I have ever tried to send the highest video setting, they start stuttering and lagging. Soon as I switch them to the 2nd highest setting, all is well. This includes a single caller running a 1GB/s line. The worst delay I ever had was when I maxed my cpu before the caller came in and didn't realize it. Unfortunately I didn't fix that on-the-spot as I never suspected the CPU was maxed, later testing showed that it was definitely my fault and nothing the caller did.
The second worst delay was when my guest called in from a ho-hum laptop in Switzerland on a shady wifi connection, and I was using a lesser computer which had the cpu in the 95% and higher range. He had 5 seconds or so delay before I changed my stream output from 1080 to 720, and lowered the video sent to him to a medium setting. This brought the delay to about 180-200ms (during peak times, 0900-1030 ET on a weekday) as was shown in the call manager. I knew this was normal at that point, because when I used to play Quake3 on a DSL connection in 2004 time-frame, I could connect to US servers while in Belgium and my ping was the same 180-200ms.
Might want to see what your cpu usage is (in the task manager) with a full blown test, and what bitrate you're sending the callers... although it sounds like you guys probably have supercomputers already.

On another note, finally had a guest caller with a real microphone (even though it was a simple blue snowball) and headphones. omg it was great :)