logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HWL1223  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2020 1:25:52 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi all;

All my vMix systems are out rented long-term now, so I need to buy or make another one. So any feedback is appreciated.

Most of my business is corporate streaming or remote press conferences for broadcast, with most gear being SDI. My stock units are all i7-3770's using onboard motherboard Intel graphics cards with one Decklink Duo and one BM mini recorder. Usually adding a BM Web Presenter and a USB audio device to get a second audio IO for Zoom, Teams, etc., and I record, stream and switch to HD SD External outputs simultaneously (1080x or 720P). All work fine with CPU maxing at maybe 50%!

Funny how no conferencing software will recognize an SDI card (in my experience - hence the Web Presenter).

I know my systems dont even compare to the vMix reference Opal, but with the looming upgrade I thought maybe a laptop with an outboard 4 channel SDI card but havent seen anything (plenty of HDMI to USB though but HDMI isnt in the broadcast world yet). Otherwise the smallest PC I can build (probably an ATX) and going with the Decklink Duo 8k.

My challenge seems to be 1) size, and 2) a motherboard with at least 3 (or 4) PCIe slots; for a graphics card and 2 BM input cards. PC builds I can do seem to start around $1200 (plus the cards and vMix).

I wish the BM ATEM mini was SDI so I could go laptop. >EDIT - Yuan UB5A0N4 Hybrid 1 ch Muiti-Interface + 4 SDI USB 3.0 Capture Box.

Any ideas or anyone selling anything? Thank you,
Hank Lam
HWL1223  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2020 12:19:33 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

KnKproductions  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:54:14 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The most recent complete rig I built was based in the smaller version of this case: https://www.amazon.com/T...s=pc&sr=1-6&th=1

..although the one linked seems like it would be more suitable for all the PCI cards you plan on installing.

Used an AsRock Fatal1ty motherboard that has TB3 in addition to 8 total USB 3.0 ports and on-board graphics (installed a 1080ti later to play games though).

Since it was built to travel, I fitted out a Pelican case with the pluckable foam and can fit the computer, all peripherals, and a 24" 4k monitor safely enough to bring it as checked luggage on flights for a year.

Your M2 card and NUC would work well for your SDI workflow. My skull canyon nuc is what I mostly travel with now.
HWL1223  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2020 11:59:42 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

Thanks for your info. I looked at that case. However, I can not find any mATX boards with more than two PCIe slots. ASRock phantom gaming boards were the closest things I found. But in theory if I use a graphics card, I am now down to one usable PCIe.

I want to load in at minimum a Blackmagic Decklink Duo2 and a micro recorder (for 3 SDI and 1 HDMI in and 1 SDI out). Thats a 4 lane and a 1 lane card. I also will stick an 8K in and thats an 8 lane.

Though I am a Blackmagic dealer, they won't sell me their M.2 card for some reason. They say ts OEM but if I am building systems I would have thought that would make me OEM .... who knows? It says its a 3 I/O so that would have given me 2 in x 1 out in HD. I would build some NUCs if I could get their M.2.

I just ordered some of the new Shuttle units and will load them as I have before and continue to use the onboard graphics. They have a 16 lane and a 4 lane. I even got wild and put up a "for sale" website http://www.divica.com to see if I could sell some.

My experience so far should be that (now) with an I9 or 7 and 16Gig of ram, I can input 4 cameras, stream, output and record with no issues. Only time it seems to be stressed is if I do a text crawl. Titles are otherwise fine. Even use dual displays no problem!

Wish there was an itx or mATX board with more slots.....