logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Slay33D  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 4:11:12 PM(UTC)
Slay33D

Groups: Registered

When moving to the next video in the playlist, I rely on the timing of the transition to be just right, otherwise it will be very obvious to the viewer that I just played a new video instead of it looking like a smooth animation.

In vMix 11, this was no problem. The playlist had perfect timing, and the whole thing looked really good. Ever since vMix 12, however, the end of the video is cut off by a fraction of a second.

This seems to happen on all codecs to some degree. Ffdshow is completely off and LAV misses off the fraction of a second, same with CoreAVC. The Microsoft codec jitters at the very start, making it less usable, but it does at least appear to get its timing right.

Any ideas on how to sort this out?
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:10:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4162 time(s) in 1495 post(s)
What video file format are you using?
Also check the Video Renderer in vMix Settings -> Performance maybe it is set differently to 11.

In any case though, unfortunately frame perfect transitions are not going to be possible
due to the different ways each codec processes video.

It was probably a fluke you got it working without a delay in 11
A lot of playback improvements are added to 12 which may have added a slight delay between clips as a side effect.

Regards,

Martin
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Slay33D on 5/15/2014(UTC)
Slay33D  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:55:13 AM(UTC)
Slay33D

The file format is MP4.

Very strangely, having messed with the settings on the Performance page (synchronise output with refresh rate enabled, video renderer set to VMR9, low latency capture enabled), it seems to work as it did in version 11. I appreciate that frame perfect transitions are not generally possible - in fact, I didn't really expect it to work in 11 either. The fact that it did though made me want to keep that functionality.

I'm going to leave those settings well alone now. I'm subscribing to my age old computing philosophy that if it works, and you don't know why, leave it well alone! I reckon it may have been the video renderer though, as you said.

Now I'd like if I may to hijack my own thread a little and ask about some regressions in XAML support. In version 11, I had a looping video made using Expression Blend and its timeline functionality. It does not loop in version 12, and indeed timeline support in general seems a little touch and go. If you want, I can PM you one such example of something that doesn't work, despite playing fine in Blend.
admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:03:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4162 time(s) in 1495 post(s)
You can email the XAML file to info@vmix.com.au for further analysis.

A couple of limitations to be aware of:

1. Loops need to be controlled within vMix with the loop button, timeline loops will usually be ignored.
2. vMix will only play the first timeline in a file with an optional second timeline used for out transitions (when used with overlay)

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Slay33D on 5/15/2014(UTC)
Slay33D  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:11:06 PM(UTC)
Slay33D

admin wrote:

2. vMix will only play the first timeline in a file with an optional second timeline used for out transitions (when used with overlay)

Ah. I just found the documentation that says that. Well that solves all my problems, so I went ahead and bought a copy of vMix HD. Have a beer on me.