logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 2:15:18 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
ChatBox

I propose a Chat Box, where vMix social posts are presented in a list format, with new messages posted to the bottom of the ChatBox, and previous messages are smoothly scrolled upwards. It should be able to use any data-source, so could just use a text file updated by an external source (i.e. SMS messages). The whole thing works using an on-data-change, so when the current data source changes to a new message, the previous messages scroll up to give enough room for the next message, and the new message is displayed at the bottom. (See Image Below) Once a message has scrolled, its data is lost for any user interaction, even if there is a theoretically infinite buffer for old messages. I would propose that the size of such buffer be user size limited, maybe by setting a max number of messages.

Must Haves

• Alternating message colours, so that messages can be easily distinguished by viewers.
  • Text wraps within bounds of object
  • Justification within bounds of object
  • Freedom to use any font
  • Ability to combine multiple fields from a data source, for example nickname/twitter handle & the body of the message. This also needs to include a separator such as a space or colon between the presented message fields.

Nice to haves

• Ability for new messages to be introduced at the top, and old messages to scroll down.
  • Ability to include a scaled social media avatar photo in the message.
  • Ability to include a scaled social media icon, to identify the source of the message, i.e facebook, twitter, Twitch etc.
  • Full support for emojis in messages
  • Variable scroll speed
  • Effects: ability to introduce new messages using effects such as zoom, reveal, fly, fade

chatbox.JPG (52kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
doggy  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 2:56:16 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
That's pretty specific
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 8:35:01 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Specific because I have had lots of experience with this function on several Caption Generators, in fact it was 20 years ago I first had to provide this function for a major broadcaster (using a Pixel power Clarity system). I still provide this function using a Flash component (now Animate), but would be nice to have integrated. Most professional CG system now have a 'Chat Line' and a 'Chat Roll' function. What I have described here is a 'Chat Roll' Its can be used in multiple ways to list data, like real time sports results, or in my case Social Media posts and SMS text messages.

The problem with my Flash solution is I can't integrate it with vMix Social or any other vMix data source. All the I can do is pick up a single .txt file, this could easily be knocked up in HTM but again would not have direct access to vMix data-sources, it would need to be coded to pick up its own data, and makes the vMix social moderation system redundant and an external moderation platform would be required.

Keith
doggy  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 8:58:42 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Make it in WPF (XAML) as title with hidden textblocks that are linked to data sources and such en let the code read and process that

just for fun made a similar scrolling list but adding from the top like you proposed responding to the social data or a datasource

FYI there is a social title that scrolls up that is ticker based within vMix