logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WallyT  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 2:51:07 AM(UTC)
WallyT

Groups: Registered
United States

My first vMix call with a customer resulted in a horrendous quality video by the interviewer that is unusable and, unfortunately, dampened my enthusiasm for vMix call. I continue to seek other solutions (zoom, skype, etc.), but wanted to see if you vMix geniuses (and I do mean it, you guys are great) have any plans for the following, or if I may request this feature:

To utilize webRTC (or other method) to record the vMix caller's (high quality) source video and audio (from their webcam and microphone) directly to their hard drive for upload to either a server you could provide space on a server you charge for, or to my own server or DropBox.

In this way, if the recorded video on the vMix side suffers from low bandwidth, dropouts, shifting resolutions and stream quality, I would have a relatively uncompressed source video at my disposal to replace those sections.

I've been using Zencastr and Squadcast for audio recording with great success. Squadcast uses a progressive upload during the recording so you don't have to wait for a large file to upload when the session is over. Zencastr does not and it does take a long time.
I've found some information that progressive upload is possible with video files as well (Pipe: https://addpipe.com/product).

Thank you for your consideration.

WallyT
mavik  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 3:26:16 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Good idea but I guess vMix Call is more meant to be live only. With webRTC you have the changing experiences. Feel free to try Larix Broadcaster(free) on a mobile (everyone has one) and use it with SRT into your vMix.
WallyT  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:03:19 AM(UTC)
WallyT

United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Good idea but I guess vMix Call is more meant to be live only. With webRTC you have the changing experiences. Feel free to try Larix Broadcaster(free) on a mobile (everyone has one) and use it with SRT into your vMix.

So how does it work with conducting a remote interview where 2 people are in remote locations and I just run the show and recording? Do they get a feed of the production and/or the other person's camera?

And, it has to be easy to access and work for the participants. Some of my clients have zero tech experience. That's what I like about vMix call. simple interface with chat. (Even that is difficult to explain the controls to many of these people.)

Thanks.

WallyT

RobSumbler  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:43:23 AM(UTC)
RobSumbler

United States

I too would be very interested in this feature. We are using vMix for recording remote panel discussions, and having the high quality backup would have saved us from having to re-record one of our panelists last week.
BriceMunn  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 11:42:27 PM(UTC)
BriceMunn

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes, I would love this! My specific application sounds similar to yours - using vMix to record a kind of round-table discussion conducted between talent on site with crew/vmix host, and some dialled in talent. This is for corporate video.

My work around (a bit crappy I know) is to ship the dial in talent a decent camera and capture card and have them rig the camera above their laptop webcam, then have them install AnyDesk on their laptop. I'll remote into their machine and install OBS to do the local recording of the capture card - its compression is mental and still delivers decent quality for a tiny file. Then I open vMix call using their webcam and record the event using that. After the event I'll manually remote back into their machine, hangup the vMix call, stop the OBS recording and upload the file to Google Drive. It's convoluted but gets a good quality video to use in the edit.

Would love this to be an integrated feature - even direct recording off their webcam and not having to ship another camera/capture card!
pstone  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 6:42:48 AM(UTC)
pstone

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would think local recording is a hot-tracked feature and definitely vote for that, especially when services like Riverside accomplish this.

My quick fix ends up just turning vmix into a multi-recording SRT box and using LARIX on any supported device to secure that transport and then have remote peeps on earphones and any conference software as the mix-minus audio solution. Done. Larix records locally as well so they can send that to us afterwards.
simond83  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 11:06:22 AM(UTC)
simond83

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

Also need this feature please. Riverside is a tool that can currently do this, but after something inside vMix call if possible?
WaltG12  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 4, 2021 6:00:38 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BriceMunn Go to Quoted Post
My work around (a bit crappy I know) is to ship the dial in talent a decent camera and capture card and have them rig the camera above their laptop webcam, then have them install AnyDesk on their laptop. I'll remote into their machine and install OBS to do the local recording of the capture card - its compression is mental and still delivers decent quality for a tiny file. Then I open vMix call using their webcam and record the event using that. After the event I'll manually remote back into their machine, hangup the vMix call, stop the OBS recording and upload the file to Google Drive. It's convoluted but gets a good quality video to use in the edit.

I love ingenuity as much as the next guy, but, I gotta say, I think you're overcomplicating this (something I've done myself from time-to-time), especially since you're already remoting in & installing software.

Originally Posted by: BriceMunn Go to Quoted Post
Would love this to be an integrated feature - even direct recording off their webcam and not having to ship another camera/capture card!

Well, I have good news. There are a few ways you can do this.

Since you're already using OBS, you can do it (somewhat) natively in there. OBS has a virtual webcam plugin. If you install that, you can use OBS to record their actual webcam feed, while simultaneously feeding that same webcam feed into the vMix Call. Recording audio might be a little tricky with that setup--I'm not overly familiar with OBS, as I'm partial to vMix. Which brings me to the next option, which I whole-heartedly endorse:

You can use vMix.

Assuming this is a "one-at-a-time" thing, you can get a vMix Basic HD license & install and activate it on their system. Add their camera with audio as the input & use the vMix Call input page to connect to the call, instead of hosting it.

At the same time, you can use vMix's built in recorder to record their output (which, again, would be their camera & microphone) locally on their machine.

Then, when all's said & done, you take the recording, deactivate vMix from their machine, and bing-bang-boom. No more mailing, no more second camera, no more capture card.

Depending on how tech savvy they are, you might even be able to provide step-by-step instructions instead of remoting in. vMix is fairly intuitive, in my opinion (though that could just be because I've been using it for about 8 years).