logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SKYGIF  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 6:36:15 PM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
vMix software is priced right! The pre-built systems need some explanation for the price request. Is this a few thousand convenience charge? Why are they so high? I know the parts very well and the amazon prices even better. I can never get to $5K-8K even if I supe'd it up with the best of the best. How about listing the specs for the computer so you can justify asking for $8000. This make the apple tax feel like a bargain.

Imagine dropping the price to an insanely affordable number (Cost plus 10%) passing that deal onto us and changing the game entirely. You'd sell 100,000 units in 30 days. Anybody else wanna chime in on this? I'm not upset just really confused. It doesn't go with the vMix affordability image. It's got this back room-card game-getting a bad deal image.

I'm willing to listen...and if you can justify the cost then I'm all for charging whatever you feel is right. On the surface it just seems like a lot. So lastly I would assume that the computers come with a standard i7 4th generation chip, 16 gb of ram, 1 Solid State drive, One hybrid large drive, touch screen, decklink cards with 4 or 8 sdi inputs, and a graphics card with at least 2000 cuda cores right? Well if not it should for the price you're asking.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 9:25:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4162 time(s) in 1495 post(s)
Hi,

The key thing to remember with these systems is the case, which is both portable and includes a built in full HD screen.
The premium price is to get the high quality portable case and a system that has been thoroughly tested with each piece of hardware.

Of course, if this is outside your budget you can always build your own system, and this is something we will always encourage and support.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
SKYGIF  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:25:51 AM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

I understand vMix's position. There is no question that the pre-built portable systems are worth every penny. Thanks for justifying the cost. It's a well tested portable solution that maximizes performance and eliminates compatibility issues. That's not going to be cheap. With a nice budget at my job I would certainly buy one. Just got approved for $80K but for audio enhancements. I may be able to work it in. We'll see.
r@wisla  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:50:17 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
admin wrote:
Of course, if this is outside your budget you can always build your own system, and this is something we will always encourage and support.

Would it be a problem to give us full specs of that system?

It would be great to know what motherboard, RAM, SSD etc was tested and is recommended.

Look how Livestream (that is selling their own hardware) made a full tutorial how to build system based on their software. There it is: http://help.livestream.c...commended-hardware-specs
Charssay  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:43:40 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hello all
I don't know if I did have miss something
These prebuilt Systems are very great even if they cost much, you can buy it if you have the possibility to do it. But these systems are not mandatory
If you are a professional that cross country to make some footage, I think that having something like that is great and as Martin says, they are well tested and you can trust on it
But, I emphasize that this is not a mandatory
Vmix is so versatile that you can do all you want alone in hardware side

This is a basic example that I can give here :
Last month, a church ask me to build for them something that they can easily transport when their will perform some outside conference, they do it one by month)
Knowing that this kind of prebuilt system will be not affordable even that they did have a good budget, I came across a particular desktop case made by the Kmgroup sold as CHIEFTEC Bravo BL-01B, I wrote to them an order two piece of them (it was impossible to order only one). Even if is not so beautiful this case responded completely to their desire

The rest of the hardware was a good Mobo, a good cpu, 3 capture card and a good graphic card and I attach a 21 inch LCD on it

And to close for 2 full unit we did not spend more than 3000 euro and this system work very well, … I guess, they did not complain to me from that date. To make clear, this 1500 euro (for one unit) is without the cost of the Software license : Windows and other video Sofware)

Then if you add software license, you can easily came across 3000 or more
In my case this is are simple HD capture card, if we in example want actualy to put a 4K system with the same, surely the Price can became higher

The Livestream example are made to show how you can do it by your own, but this remain an example, i don't think that all that use their System use the same hardware

C.
SKYGIF  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:44:02 PM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

Charssay I get it that it's not mandatory to have a pre-built system. My thought is that there is a huge market out there that wants this already made systems so why not make it more affordable and pump out more units. Broadcasters, youtubers, churches, sports, etc...That's a huge market. Amazon basically gives away their kindle because they want people to buy Amazon prime subscriptions and have a direct link to their customers purchasing. Adobe did away with the $1600 bundle and charges $50 a month for basically all of its products. Microsoft is following suit with MS Office. I know a box like this isn't the same but it would be nice if vMix was the company that figured out how to supply the world with these tested boxes at a low price.
hassan yaghi  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:15:02 PM(UTC)
hassan yaghi

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
check this site : http://www.xaio.us
they support VMIX , i bought a hardware from them , perfect price and machines .
r@wisla  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:38:19 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Charssay wrote:
The Livestream example are made to show how you can do it by your own, but this remain an example, i don't think that all that use their System use the same hardware

Sure they don't, but Livestream recommends this equipment. It clearly looks like they checked it and said: this system works like it should.
Livestream wrote:
We’ve created a detailed article with screenshots showcasing Livestream’s recommendations.
These are our recommended specifications for a 4 in 1 out video switcher system build (as per the HD500).
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:57:05 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ SKYGIF
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and to be honest, I disagree with Martin on the case, I think the case is probably the smallest part of the equation...
BUT the reality is that these are "Custom" builds and not assembly line products a la Apple, HP or Dell.
The time and effort that goes into researching/testing/building can be significant, and let's face it, the market is somewhat "limited", even at bargain basement prices, I don't think they would fly off the shelf.
If you can build it and sell it for less have at her...
Livestream is in the same ballpark in terms of pricing.
Newtek has been at this since the video toaster and look where their prices are now!
Blackmagic will nickel and dime you to death to take full advantage of their potential!
The bottom line is, you'll have to pay a premium for a turn key solution, and right now, vMix is probably the best bang for your buck.

Ice
SKYGIF  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:21:01 PM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

@Ice

In order to turn a profit I can see where the price comes from. It just caught me off guard. It felt like a bundle price... but when I think about it, it is kind of a bundle.

On another note... I really like the idea of running the cards from a thunderbolt 2 enclosure and a nice new laptop. It's about the same footprint and a bit more my style.

Does anyone know if those built in systems are noisy or quiet? Run cold or hot or normal? It's interesting having the screen on the side..can you tilt it? How many fans are inside? I know they are tried and tested but still valid questions if I'm shelling out $8G's.
SKYGIF  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:30:15 PM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

@Hassan

I checked out the link and I see a bunch of servers for sale with a price that is to be determined by a sales rep. I'm an 10yr+ Audio Engineer. I mix shows day in and day out with the best of them... but my knowledge on servers is nill. Is it just a supe'd up computer with no monitors? If so sounds like that could work for me. Did I miss the laptops or desktops on the link you sent?
hassan yaghi  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:03:33 AM(UTC)
hassan yaghi

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Those are Workstation servers that are very good quality and very good price to them , cause those servers are customized to work as playout and mixing system , i mean in their components and the load you can make in them, those are a rack mounted servers, perfect for on air production and recordings .