logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rehan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:49:23 AM(UTC)
Rehan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm using vMix in a live environment, so I'm trying to reduce the latency as much as possible. My system is mostly HDMI, so I want to stick to HDMI capture devices.

I've been using the AVerMedia Extremecap U3 (USB 3.0), and the latency I'm seeing is about 80 ms. I contacted Magewell about the XI100XE HDMI capture card and I was told its latency is 50-70 ms. Is there anything that can do better?

I'd like to use 1080p60, but I would be willing to go down to 1080i60/1080p30 if the performance is significantly better. 80 ms may not seem like much, but there are many other components in the system too and a little bit here & a little bit there adds up.

BTW, what I do to measure the latency is to load http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html on one PC #1, connect its HDMI output to the capture device in PC #2, view the captured video on PC #2, and then take a picture of both screens with a DSLR camera on a fast shutter setting. This is a picture showing the Extremecap U3 latency:

UserPostedImage
Rehan  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 2:49:34 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Sigh. Now I'm having some issues on the camera end of things, too. I've been using a Sony HVR-V1U, which is a 1080i camera, and it has about 1-2 frames delay (33 ms at most) when I do a test similar to the above. I point the camera at the laptop running the timer, connect the camera's HDMI output to an HDMI monitor, and then compare the time on the laptop to the time on the monitor.

Right now, my latency numbers from camera input to TV output are something like this (at 1080i):
30 ms - tripod video camera
80 ms - HDMI capture device
60 ms - vMix and HDMI output from PC
16 ms - HDMI->SDI conversion
16 ms - SDI->HDMI conversion

Total delay is about 200 ms, which is okay but not great.

So on my path to upgrade to 1080p60, first I tried out the Sony SRG-300H PTZ camera. The lowest latency I could get on that was about 80 ms. The extra 50ms (compared to our tripod camera) is very noticeable in the final output. I also tried the Lumens VC-G50, which has less delay (about 50 ms), but the image quality is not as good. The Vaddio PowerVIEW HD-22 has a claimed frame delay of 1 frame, but at $4000 that's a bit out of my price range.

At this point, I am trying out prosumer camcorders on a Bescor MP-101 pan/tilt head. I have the Canon Vixia HF-G30 now and I'm seeing a delay of at 60 ms on it. I like everything else about the camera, but less of a delay would be nice. The other camera I'd like to try is the Sony HXR-NX70. I need a compact camera that I can mount on a wall or a ceiling with the Bescor head.

Is anyone else using 1080p equipment in a live production environment where latency matters? What products are you using?

(I know there's a similar thread about hardware for lowest latency, but I wanted to ask specifically about 1080p resolution. Sorry about the overlap.)
radamo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:23:00 PM(UTC)
radamo

Rehan wrote:
Sigh. Now I'm having some issues on the camera end of things, too. I've been using a Sony HVR-V1U, which is a 1080i camera, and it has about 1-2 frames delay (33 ms at most) when I do a test similar to the above. I point the camera at the laptop running the timer, connect the camera's HDMI output to an HDMI monitor, and then compare the time on the laptop to the time on the monitor.

Right now, my latency numbers from camera input to TV output are something like this (at 1080i):
30 ms - tripod video camera
80 ms - HDMI capture device
60 ms - vMix and HDMI output from PC
16 ms - HDMI->SDI conversion
16 ms - SDI->HDMI conversion

Total delay is about 200 ms, which is okay but not great.

So on my path to upgrade to 1080p60, first I tried out the Sony SRG-300H PTZ camera. The lowest latency I could get on that was about 80 ms. The extra 50ms (compared to our tripod camera) is very noticeable in the final output. I also tried the Lumens VC-G50, which has less delay (about 50 ms), but the image quality is not as good. The Vaddio PowerVIEW HD-22 has a claimed frame delay of 1 frame, but at $4000 that's a bit out of my price range.

At this point, I am trying out prosumer camcorders on a Bescor MP-101 pan/tilt head. I have the Canon Vixia HF-G30 now and I'm seeing a delay of at 60 ms on it. I like everything else about the camera, but less of a delay would be nice. The other camera I'd like to try is the Sony HXR-NX70. I need a compact camera that I can mount on a wall or a ceiling with the Bescor head.

Is anyone else using 1080p equipment in a live production environment where latency matters? What products are you using?

(I know there's a similar thread about hardware for lowest latency, but I wanted to ask specifically about 1080p resolution. Sorry about the overlap.)

I prefer hdsdi than hdmi output for lowering the latency. In my previous test, i had 150-200 msec for a 1080i 50Hertz input
displaying on a 1080 60p computer screen. Today, i tested a red camera output (1080p 25) for live keying, and it was incredible nice !! But i did not caculate the frame delay with such an input. Maybe it would be better to stay at 60 Herz from the input to the output. Anyway, 1080p is wonderfull for key.

Olivier