logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kismetgerald  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 4:32:41 AM(UTC)
kismetgerald

Groups: Registered
United States

Good-day folks,

I trust you're all doing well and staying safe from COVID-19. So I'm running a small one-man (for now) live stream production for my church using vMix and I have been successful in getting bi-directional audio & video between vMix and Zoom using the KB Article at https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/170/adding-zoom-calls-to-vmix-with-return-video-and-audio

My congregation has a need to do Q&A Sessions during our Zoom calls and we want to have this streamed to our YouTube audience simultaneously. So while this successful integration allows the two-way video and audio, I've noticed that the minute I cut to a Side by Side input from vMix (which includes the Zoom window captured over NDI) the video in Zoom immediately goes into an infinite loop (not sure how else to describe it).

What we're

Perhaps its my lack of understanding of video technology. But I'm willing to best someone on here has run into this problem before. If so, how did you resolve it?
ralston  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 12:15:58 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you able to send your video output from vmix correctly into zoom using your External Output ( next to . Stream) I am not sure what image you want to send to zoom ? Perhaps your loop around is the main output of your vmix being sent to zoom and then your bringing your zoom/desktop input back into vmix. Can you explain in more detail your inputs/outputs to zoom.
kismetgerald  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 12:32:57 AM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Yes, we are able to send the External output from the vMix PC to the Zoom PC without any issues. The problem comes when I do a PIP or 2x2 Box Layout scene where one of the inputs used is the Zoom PC's Desktop Capture over NDI (i.e., Display 1). But it doesn't happen until I spotlight the Zoom PC's video in Zoom, then the infinite loop starts happening. So basically, I could ask all meeting participants to simply put their screens in Gallery View and then individually spotlight the Zoom PC's video if they want to see the vMix production. But we're trying to limit the user input to our production staff and not have to burden our audience with this task.

My simple brain is telling me that this is happening because since the Zoom PC isn't sending over just the individual Zoom participant videos or just the Zoom Video screen like it used to, but rather the entire computer's Display, the loop is being created when that output now shows up as an image and is recaptured as part of the Display 1 transmission over NDI to the vMix PC, then sent back to the Zoom PC - and I think this is how the loop is happening.

Now to figure out how to break it. Hope I explained better?
ralston  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 1:12:48 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

OK I see .. what we have set up for the church is having the preacher dial in from home via vmix call so he is running the event as the main speaker/camera input and Zoom the desktop / NDI Zoom input is for his followers ... The result being streaming to facebook .. so the vmix caller is able to speak to the zoom callers and visa versa when we allow them to speak :) When we do a split screen we just have the vmix caller on the left box and the zoom callers on the right box .... perhaps it has something to do with the External output and what you are sending back to Zoom ...
mavik  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2020 5:38:35 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
You have two options
#1 Zoom as Master:
vMix acts as a client and just grabs whatever happens in zoom and sends it out to FB, YT whatever.
#2 Zoom as Client:
vMix acts as master and sends the output into zoom. You have to do all the switching/mixing in vmix and just feed it into zoom and social.

A mixture of both will lead to problems.
kismetgerald  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 1:34:03 PM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Thank you all for your responses.

We want to maintain production control in vMix and have all our video and audio switching/mixing happening from there. As such, I think we may have to abandon the idea of spotlighting the video from the vMix caller into Zoom (hope that made sense). Since we're running Zoom on the same vMix computer, we simply spotlight our own video so all attendees can see the vMix output without any accidental interferences from someone who forgot to mute their phone or stop sending video. However, this is where the problem is. In my mind it's kinda like having a camera (Camera A) as an input into vMix and then while viewing the vMix output from a mobile device, I put that mobile device directly in front of Camera A. This would definitely create a video loop, as the video output is now going back in as an image included with the Camera's input. This is exactly what's happening to us.

As @mavik rightly suggested, we're trying to have it both ways and I think that's just gonna cause us more headaches. I just wish there was a way to do a Video Mix-Minus, in the same way one can do an Audio Mix-Minus.
ralston  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:26:40 PM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

You can send any input into Zoom that you want inc NDI ... perhaps have a look at the recent video Martin posted, you might find the answers to your questions ...

kismetgerald  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 12:23:21 AM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Originally Posted by: ralston Go to Quoted Post
You can send any input into Zoom that you want inc NDI ... perhaps have a look at the recent video Martin posted, you might find the answers to your questions ...

Thanks for that. Yes, I actually went back and re-configured my setup based on this very updated video that Martin posted. So from the point of delivering the vMix production to Zoom over NDI and receiving Zoom audio & video into vMix as an NDI input, that is working as expected.

The problem comes when the vMix feed to Zoom is spotlighted in Zoom while the Zoom input in vMix is part of a PiP or Multiview layout in the vMix output. Hope I described that well.

The behavior is very similar to the feedback loop that is created when an audio signal is returned to the same source. Currently this is counteracted by doing a Mix-Minus Setup. Wish there was such a technique for video.
ralston  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 2:00:28 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

I try to think of my output to Zoom from vMIx more of a studio monitor in our studio. We wouldn't send the main TX output from vMIx to our floor monitor in the studio other wise we would be seeing the same effect that you are speaking about here.

We send an independent output to the floor monitor (sometimes using the new Add Input (mix) mini M/E) that way we can control what is being seen on the floor monitor and by our PTZ camera and likewise being sent back to zoom.

The other main difference is that we are using srt as our main presenter feed to drive the zoom call, this could also be vMix Call but we find we can't seem to get more than 1.5Mbps on the stream using vMix call, not sure why .. So I guess bottom line is that we don't send the main TX back to Zoom but only what we want to send.
kismetgerald  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 2:59:05 AM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Originally Posted by: ralston Go to Quoted Post

We send an independent output to the floor monitor (sometimes using the new Add Input (mix) mini M/E) that way we can control what is being seen on the floor monitor and by our PTZ camera and likewise being sent back to zoom.

Thanks for that info. Would you be open to a Zoom or Teamviewer session where you can help me implement what you've just suggested? I'm fairly new to video production and live streaming in general, but I'm very technical and a quick learner.....so I promise not to waste your time.

Please let me know, thanks.