logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidr521  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 2:42:34 AM(UTC)
davidr521

Groups: Registered
United States

I just purchased (and have been experimenting with) vMix Basic HD.

I bought vMix as an alternative to OBS because, to be quite frank, I didn't have a) the time or b) the patience to learn OBS. Our church did our first livestream of a precorded message using vMix Basic HD. While it's quite an improvement over doing YouTube Live from my cell phone, it still looked choppy and sounded a bit gravely with the audio.

While I chalked it up to my internet connection/encoding/etc. or something else, I was doing some post-review and for giggles, tried streaming the same prerecorded video from my same laptop with OBS and with vMix Basic HD.

Needless to say, I was more than a little disappointed. The same video, from the same laptop, was markedly different in stream output quality - and it was OBS that won out. I have no idea (and cannot find the settings in vMix) why that is - no matter how I monkey with the stream output quality, I can't get it to look as good as it does on OBS, with *no tweaking*.

I'd love to continue to use vMix, mainly due to the ease of use (and ability to train others to use), but there's no way I'm going to sacrifice stream output quality over ease of use.

Question to the vMix staff/admins/etc., or any of you others out there...any thoughts?

Feedback welcome.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2020 12:06:05 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ davidr521

Can you elaborate on what Stream Settings you used in vMix and what your Project Settings are?

Ice
davidr521  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2020 12:11:47 AM(UTC)
davidr521

United States

Wow. Whatever I said to offend you, I'm truly sorry. Also I have no skin in the game for using one product over another; I'm simply trying to learn and figure out (as I noted in my post) what I can change to improve the quality.

As I stated previously:

Originally Posted by: davidr521 Go to Quoted Post
The same video, from the same laptop, was markedly different in stream output quality - and it was OBS that won out. I have no idea (and cannot find the settings in vMix) why that is - no matter how I monkey with the stream output quality, I can't get it to look as good as it does on OBS, with *no tweaking*.

Actually, I've already read most of the documentation on both products; I just cannot find the settings in vMix to address my issue.

If you've got some ideas on how I can improve this, I'm more than open to ideas on how to solve this quandary and use vMix. I'd love to use it because it's got a much shorter learning curve and I can hand it off to someone else and not have to babysit our Sunday morning services.

Like many others around the world, we were thrown into livestreaming about a month ago and are just trying to make it through.

Thanks for your feedback.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2020 12:21:46 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ davidr521

vMix Settings:
Settings button top right ===> Display tab ===> Master Frame Rate / Output Size / Output Aspect Ratio

Stream Settings:
cog wheel of Stream button ===> Quality dropdown menu for "preset" OR cog wheel for "manual"

I hope that helps

Ice
davidr521  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2020 12:29:19 AM(UTC)
davidr521

United States

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ davidr521

vMix Settings:
Settings button top right ===> Display tab ===> Master Frame Rate / Output Size / Output Aspect Ratio

Stream Settings:
cog wheel of Stream button ===> Quality dropdown menu for "preset" OR cog wheel for "manual"

I hope that helps

Ice

Ugh - you hit the nail on the head, @Ice! It was the Project Settings. While the output Settings defaulted to HD, the project settings did not (unsure why that is).

Had to tweak the output to 1920x1080 widescreen (to get rid of the black bars), and that did the trick.

Thanks for both you and streammediaevent's feedback!