logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
advisiontv  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2020 9:00:39 PM(UTC)
advisiontv

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I’m fairly new to vmix - but not new to broadcast tv and communications to video contributors via communications. Ive found myself this week loving vmix thanks to the free trial - and already done a small production involving 4 vmix calls live successfully. But it soon became apparent that I needed to have conversations with each vmix caller separately while another caller is live.
I gathered that having 4 aux buses, one for each caller was an easy way to achieve this, then I could select what each caller hears and talk to them off air. I could even patch together one vmix caller talking to another off air while the third is live oblivious to the other conversations.
However, this is all a bit fiddly and you have to really get your head around what’s going on, especially as auxes C upwards is hidden away with a right click.
So a couple of questions and thoughts...
Seeing as I am rerouting all the audio, I am theoretically creating a mix minus. Could I deactivate any vmix echo cancellation to improve quality of mics dipping in and out as I’m creating a mix minus anyway.
If I had a bigger sound card (something like a focusrite 18i20) with 8 channels of audio out, could I connect it to my external 4 channel xlr talkback system ( so I have a hardware solution of push to talk and hear all 4 callers on my system each with a volume control) or is there a good software equivalent via a stream deck (hoping there is as really it’s just a matrix which routes a single mic to various sources).
Is there any quick visual way of looking at vmix crosspoints? It would be really cool to see inputs along one axis and outputs along another and be able to tick to select them.
Many thanks and I hope the above makes sense?!
KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:25:32 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Last week I was playing around with shortcuts and one of my midi controllers to do the same thing.

1. Plug in a separate mic input, either in the motherboard's pink mic-in port for a simple 3.5mm solution or do some usb dac.
2. Create the new input in vMix
3. Figure out what channel you want to use as an intercom or audio pool or whatever you'd like to call it
4. Using a midi controller, that has an on/off note (0 and 127) when pressed and released, set up a shortcut that turns on an audio bus for a channel when the button is pressed, and simultaneously turns off a different audio bus on that same channel. There's going to be one button doing lots of things so don't be worried when you see the shortcuts turn red because of a repeat button.

-Also I always save these shortcuts so "this preset only" so that I don't cross over buttons to other vmix profiles-

5. Do the same as step 4, but set it to turn on/off the audio busses when the button is released.

Example:
You push and hold button1 on your midi controller (or whatever you're using) and vmix caller 1, 2, and 3 are instantly put on Audio Bus B, as well as you're own microphone. Now you are talking directly to all three callers on your own separate audio bus. Release the button, and everything goes back to how it was before.

You could do this same sort of thing with a bunch of buttons designed to move audio groups around as needed. Using the mouse to do it all would be extremely tedious.

I really really really would love to see crosspoints or some kind of visual audio routing. DaVinci Resolve Video Editor uses this type of thing to visually represent the workflow and it is GREAT!