logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tyza  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 3:11:58 AM(UTC)
Tyza

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hello all

I hope everyone is safe and well. Considering we're all pretty much in lockdown right now I figure you've all got a a lot of spare time to help me on this!

I work for a television channel in UK and we're looking to use vmix call to set up a discussion amongst more that two remote guests (probably 3/4/5).
As the host of a call, how do you set up an independent (solo) talk to individual guests i.e. a director talking to individual guests in a call without the other guests hearing?

Please explain in very simple terms as I've just downloaded Vmix and am not too familiar with the settings and functionality. We have tried but we're not having a lot of luck.

Many thanks, and look forward to talking with you.
MartinHH  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 7:14:15 PM(UTC)
MartinHH

Germany

Hi, you can do that using the audio busses,
You need to enable the audio busses in the audio output settings.
Then you can choose which audio bus goes as return audio to the callers.
And in the audio mixer you select which caller or other audio input goes on which bus.
Since version 23 that is a great feature.
We use it for that on daily basis
Radiotvpat1982  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2020 12:08:38 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Since VMIX call automatically includes a Mix Minus back to the caller, you can setup a quick and dirty backdoor feed by simply using you existing station phone technology in the background. Same way you would with talent in the field just dont include the Program audio.

For example, have you guest log in and setup their computer and microphone. Then simply call them and make sure they are hearing the program feed back out to them through VMIX call. Also use the phone to go over any details you need. Then give them a 30 second warning and mute the phone connection before going live.

If the caller has 2 ear buds they can put one ear as VMIX and one ear as the producer. You can then use your existing workflow to and equipment to get the job done without having to mess with you audio settings. The automatic Mix Minus is such a key piece to that.

No need to complicate it if you can avoid it.
Tyza  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:05:08 PM(UTC)
Tyza

United Kingdom

Thanks for everyone's reply. Much appreciated
Tyza  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:08:56 PM(UTC)
Tyza

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Radiotvpat1982 Go to Quoted Post
Since VMIX call automatically includes a Mix Minus back to the caller, you can setup a quick and dirty backdoor feed by simply using you existing station phone technology in the background. Same way you would with talent in the field just dont include the Program audio.

For example, have you guest log in and setup their computer and microphone. Then simply call them and make sure they are hearing the program feed back out to them through VMIX call. Also use the phone to go over any details you need. Then give them a 30 second warning and mute the phone connection before going live.

If the caller has 2 ear buds they can put one ear as VMIX and one ear as the producer. You can then use your existing workflow to and equipment to get the job done without having to mess with you audio settings. The automatic Mix Minus is such a key piece to that.

No need to complicate it if you can avoid it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't get around the issue of keying guests independently. You could do it if you were in a sound gallery but the whole point of this is to be able to produce this remotely ... I'm all for making it as little complicated as possible though!
KnKproductions  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:39:11 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
As was posted before, set up a separate audio bus for that caller.

First, turn on all the audio busses in the settings panel. vMix will need a restart after that.
When you right click an audio channel in the mixer panel, you'll be able to select a separate bus. Have that one be the only one selected, and have your audio be on the same bus to talk to that guest only.

You can set up shortcuts for this as well to do a push-to-talk for each guest or multiple guests at the same time.