logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jsyrjanen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:28:24 AM(UTC)
jsyrjanen

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi,

First a disclaimer - I've never dealt with live streaming before, but this new world of social distancing has made it necessary look into it. In other words, apologies in advance to not necessarily understanding most basic aspects and terms discussed.

My wife is a group fitness instructor, and since the gyms are closed, we are trying to do live streams from her dance studio in our basement for her clients. We are using a Behringer XENYX Q802USB mixer, into which we are feeding her workout music from her ipod, and her instructions via an inexpensive wireless mic (receiver plugged into the mixer). The mixer connects to the USB-C port of her Surface Book 2 via a USB hub, from which an HDMI signal is also pulled to a nearby monitor. The computer is connected to a dedicated internet connection no-one else is using. Either via ethernet cable or wifi, we're getting similar speed readings (300Mbps down/30Mbps up), which I think should well be fast enough. So nothing fancy by any means, but seems to work fine for what it is for. In theory.

Everyday before doing the public stream (or the night before), she has done a private Facebook Live stream which I'm watching in real time on the internet with a phone upstairs (not connected to the streaming network), and by and large the quality is good. An occasional audio dropout here and there, but nothing that seems abnormal for a streamed signal - we could happily live with that quality. We did one of these tests an hour before going public today, and it was ok.

However, in the public broadcast we are running into the same problem daily - the stream starts well, looks and sounds from good to great, with a clean audio mix. Everyone is happy with clients posting appreciative comments about the quality. But somewhere around the 5-7 minute mark the audio starts dropping out increasingly to a point where the stream becomes unlistenable, and her viewer numbers understandably drop enormously - the most dedicated ones stay, but turn the audio off :( This has happened three days in a row now, and with no changes will no doubt happen tomorrow as well, so we need find some kind of solution.

The thing I don't understand is the interruptions seem only be affecting the audio, not the video - I would expect the video to stutter as well. The video quality may fluctuate a little bit, I imagine that's a given with streaming, but it is clean enough and continuous. So whatever occurs around the 5-minute mark (and lasts through the remainder of the 45-min class) seems to only affect the audio. And why would the first five minutes be clean? If there was a systematic problem, wouldn't that manifest itself more or less from the start? This is like the signal being throttled after a while, but affecting only the audio stream.

I'm getting advice and recommendations from well-meaning people, who suggest to ditch the mic and the mixer and just use the inbuilt laptop mic to record the room. First, that doesn't sound very good, and I find it hard to believe that the streaming platform would be that selective about the contents of the audio - isn't it just data, regardless of how well it is captured? I don't believe our levels are excessively loud either, though I would think that would manifest itself as clipping/overdriven audio rather than dropouts.

Any troubleshooting tips you might be able to offer me would be appreciated. I would pay someone to come fix it, but I don't think many technicians are inclined to do home visits. I know Cox Communications (our provider) won't until further notice. So I'm afraid I'm left to my own newbie devices, which is probably not a recipe for success.

Here's today's class - I apologize for the music-heavy mix, my last-minute adjustment that went wrong. You'll note the dropouts starting around the 7-minute mark, and quickly deteriorating from there. https://www.facebook.com.../videos/225808501992284/

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide!

Kind regards,
Janne

KnKproductions  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 10:34:05 AM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Do you know what your CPU load is when it starts happening? What bitrate is the stream set to?

And another thing to try, is route your mixer output to the camera microphone input. That way the audio comes already embedded in the video. Like you said, there weren't any stutters with the video. Worth a try! I currently use the same mixer as a digital audio converter from my analog mixer and haven't had any problems with it.
jsyrjanen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 12:25:43 PM(UTC)
jsyrjanen

United States

Thank you for your response!

I don't know the CPU load. I can try to open up the resource monitor during the private stream tests and see if we're overloading the CPU, though I would think a Surface Book 2 could handle the load - it has pretty nice specs for a laptop, as I understand. It would be hard for me to monitor the load when she is going publicly live, as I need to stay out of the shot.

It looks to me like the Facebook Live interface doesn't allow tinkering with the settings at all. FB does list settings guidelines (https://www.facebook.com/help/1534561009906955?helpref=faq_content), but it's not immediately clear how to adhere to those, unless the FB platform auto-formats everything to spec.

It looks like there is third party software that can be used to stream via FB Live, and those allow settings adjustments, so something like OBS might be something to look into.

We are not using an external camera, just the Surface Book's inbuilt one. It seems ok for a laptop camera (at least it's full HD), though an external camera with mic inputs might be something to look at, if it isn't budget-breaking.

Thanks again - this gives me some things to try out.

Cheers,
Janne
KnKproductions  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2020 12:23:49 PM(UTC)
KnKproductions

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
This camera and lens are great to start with:

ZCam E2C
https://www.bhphotovideo...sional_4k_cinematic.html

Rokinon 12mm
https://www.amazon.com/g...06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could run the HDMI out to a USB capture device and be able to run 1080p60.
There's a 3.5mm mic input on the side of the camera as well, you could run the mixer output directly to that and have a single source for all audio and video.