logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MycroBeat99  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2020 1:17:11 AM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Groups: Registered
Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi. Recently, looking at the vMix Render Time and CPU usage, I noticed that the time is higher than i know before. I did a little research, and I came to the conclusion that the NDI consumes more resources.
So i decide to make a test on my secondary computer, which is the same with the first. The only difference is the GPU. It is from NDI SDK or it is from vMix this CPU increase?

Specs PC 1: CPU: i7-3770, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060, Windows 10 1809 Enterprise LTSC
Specs PC 2: CPU: i7-3770, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1070, Windows 10 1809 Enterprise

NDI Off on Output 4:
vmix_without_ndi_on.png (54kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

NDI On on Output 4:
vmix_with_ndi_on_task.png (21kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
vmix_with_ndi_on.png (79kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2020 9:48:15 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ MicroBeat99

NDI is a CPU intensive task (both encoding and decoding).
As such, it is recommended to only turn ON NDI Outputs (or bring in NDI Sources) as needed in vMix, otherwise you are using up valuable CPU resources unnecessarily.

Ice
thanks 2 users thanked IceStream for this useful post.
MycroBeat99 on 4/20/2020(UTC), mjgraves on 4/20/2020(UTC)
MycroBeat99  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 12:14:13 PM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Man
Romania

Originally Posted by: IceStream Go to Quoted Post
@ MicroBeat99

NDI is a CPU intensive task (both encoding and decoding).
As such, it is recommended to only turn ON NDI Outputs (or bring in NDI Sources) as needed in vMix, otherwise you are using up valuable CPU resources unnecessarily.

Ice

Thank for the info. I found that XAML Click use more cpu than i expected. Also, i found the new SRT is a little bit tricky than a normally UDP, in the sense that although I have a video card with which I can have as many NVENCs (I use a patch that unlocks the two limitations of the Nvenc from the factory) as I want, not always NVENC Encode works with SRT.
MycroBeat99  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:05:02 AM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Man
Romania

In order not to make a new topic, I post here.

After a lot of research and tests, i finally discovered that NDI also work with GPU (Also, NewTek said there are make all on GPU, but programmers prefer CPU instead on GPU). Actually, the latest NDI SDK and NDI Tools is GPU ready, if you have a dedicated GPU installed.
For everyone to want to test this, install NDI Tools from NewTek website, open Studio Monitor, select a source. After that open Task Manager and on GPU Engine and GPU tabs will see "GPU X - some info" (required Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 or newer to see this feature).
For everyone to want to test the encode and decode, go to settings in NDI Monitor, select Output, select NDI Output. After that open a new instance of NDI Monitor on another computer or actual computer and see on the GPU tabs the program use GPU.

Maybe @admin will add support to Encode and Decode NDI in vMix via GPU instead of CPU.