logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mundm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 10:39:27 PM(UTC)
mundm

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,
is there any possibility to adjust the Audio Levels of the NDI Outputs?

We have the effect that a -18dBfs Test Signal is much quieter on the NDI Output. We had a look at the Signal by

1. recording the NDI Signal in Newteks NDI Monitor and added the Videofile as a new Input in vMix
2. sent the NDI to a Birddog NDI to SDI Converter

The effect is the same. The Signal Audio Level is around -30dBfs, so it's about 12dB quieter than the original.

Any ideas?
pm  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:57:39 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
There is a good explanation from zenvideo in post #2:

https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t18413-NewTek-Spark-Audio-Noise
thanks 1 user thanked pm for this useful post.
mundm on 4/1/2020(UTC)
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2020 3:40:23 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
It would be nice if vMix at least introduced an NDI Audio Conversion setting in the master settings, to include the SMPTE standard of +4dBu(NDI) = -20dBFS, and the EBU version 0dBu(NDI) = -18dBFS, as alternative options to the existing conversion method where +4dBu(NDI) = 0dBFS. It wasn't so important when NDI connections were mainly between software applications (many of which also used this same convention), but with the growth of hardware encoders/decoders which wish to maintain compatibility with the way the Tricaster works (using SMPTE +4dBu(NDI) = -20dBFS, and a maximum NDI level of +24dBu for 0dBFS), the incompatibility with vMix is starting to show up more and causing confusion amongst some users who have only ever know integer-based digital audio with 0dBFS being the maximum before clipping occurs.

Of course some of the blame for all this has to lie with NewTek for coming up with their own standard for NDI audio levels which, I dare say, would never had been adopted had they approached a body like the AES (Audio Engineering Society) and discussed it with their Standards Officer. (This is the organisation that helps get manufacturers together and arbitrate on creating standards like the Broadcast WAV file format, amongst others.)
mundm  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2020 7:32:39 PM(UTC)
mundm

Germany

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you for the explanation.
It's exactly what you said: My Background is broadcast so I never heard about different audio standards.

Our problem is to send vMix calls to an external recording system via NDI.

So after I read your post I had the great idea to create virtual Inputs from the calls, adjust the audio and send them to our birddog NDI - SDI Converters. But there are two Problems:

1. no audio settings in virtual Inputs
2. no opportunity to send them via NDI out of vMix

Thats why we now use aux busses for that.

Thats a little tricky, but it works…

So, i have a second question because you seem to have a lot of knowledge about that:
Have you ever had a look at the audio video delay at vMix external Outputs? I used a VALID test Signal and the result was 40ms audio delay with a blackmagic decklink duo2 PCIe Card. I wonder if there is a delay in the external output itself or the output Card. I can do many tests now but maybe someone knows the answer =)

Thanks a lot