logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
krzychuz  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 8:46:01 AM(UTC)
krzychuz

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did you know that NewTek's VMC, which can handle 44 UHD 60p NDI inputs, is running on an i9-7920x and a GTX 1080 (or equivalents)? Obviously all those sources aren't pulled in full resolution at the same time, only those few that are on Program and Preview buses are. The rest is pulled as 360p proxy streams, to feed the multi view. If you could spend some time and incorporate that and other optimizations, and in the end be able to recommend an RTX 2070 instead of a 2080 Ti for a basic 16-input 4K build (noting the limited number of sources that can be on outputs at the same time), that would be a huge step forward.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 4:24:14 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
44x UHD 60p NDI with roughly 300 Mbps sums up to 13.2 Gbps. This requires a massive network setup. I know you were saying that not all NDI feeds need to be ingested in full quality. I think vMix has never been build for that. Take a look at Ross Carbonite Ultra. The 1U unit supports 18x 12G inputs and 10x 12G outputs and is "just" running on a FPGA. This is a massive processing power of 336 Gbps. The M/E's not even counted. Maybe worth a look for just $10k
krzychuz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:21:16 AM(UTC)
krzychuz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Handling that much bandwidth is exactly what I don't want. I want the proxy streams to be utilized. TriCaster TC1 with 16 UHD inputs has only two 1GbE ports, which is enough to pull 4 full-resolution sources at the same time. That poses some limitations, because you won't, for example, be able to transition on the main M/E from an M/E with three UHD layers to another M/E with two UHD layers (I'm not sure how exactly they deal with that), but knowing this limitation, you still get a switcher that can have 16 (or 44, with a bit better specs) sources ready for you.