logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shureman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:24:02 PM(UTC)
Shureman

Groups: Registered

I'm looking for a reasonably priced program that I can use to sync video and audio files that all have the exact same zero point. I thought vMix was it, but I'm not so sure now. Is there any way to have all your file begin running simultaneously (including the audio master), then cut from one to the other? Starting them at almost the same time won't do since I am editing music videos which must be perfectly synced with a master audio.
I have explored the program all day and not found a way to pull this off.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:18:42 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Is it a requirement to do this life or wouldn't video editing software be a better fit?
Shureman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:10:16 PM(UTC)
Shureman

sinc747 wrote:
Is it a requirement to do this life or wouldn't video editing software be a better fit?

I have already edited all my files (four video files and one master audio file) of a classical music recital in Sony Vegas Pro 12 and rendered them to all have the exact same zero start point. Unfortunately, Vegas 12 only lets you edit multiple camera clips using a single preview screen and a very cumbersome array of timelines stacked one on top of the other - lots of clipping, splitting, moving, and superimposing, etc...I'd much rather do a real time mix, which vMix comes oh so close to letting me do. with the "quick start" button I can very nearly start two video files at the same time, but "very nearly" doesn't cut it for a music video which needs to be perfectly synced with audio and each and every video clip. What I want is akin to doing a live mix with four camera inputs, but instead of using cameras, I'm substituting prerecorded video files. So again, is there a way to get vMix to start all my imported files to start running at the same time and then switch from one video clip to another with the underlying audio running all along also?

If it does I'm ready to purchase the primo version, if it doesn't, it's of no use to me.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 1:11:37 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Shureman
Premiere Pro would be the editing software of choice for this, but I'm thinking there may be a way to get vMix to start all your videos simultaneously with the multiview feature...
Create a "colour" or blank input.
In Multiview add each of your inputs as overlays 1 through 5. (overlay 5 should be the shot you want to start on)
In your Audio window insure that audio does not follow video and that your master audio track is always on.
If you hit Quick Play on the "blank" input you created, all videos should start playing simultaneously.
As long as your videos are not set to restart or pause with transition, you should then be able to switch between videos seamlessly.
If you have synced them accurately, you're laughing, if you are off by a couple of frames it may be noticeable.
Once again, vMix would not be the preferred way to do this, but for the record, I think it's possible...
I'm sure curious to know how you make out!

Ice
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 4:47:51 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
+1 for me.

to repair or mix multi cam recordings as if you would be life, you'd need to be able to start all recordings synchronized. it should be simple to add an option to start selected clips simultaniously.

this would further enhance the value of vmix as an off-line mixer as an alternative to fcpx or similar.

so: yeah good suggestion.

stefan
Brian Hazelden  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 5:13:13 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1 for me too.
Just imagine 4 cameras recording to multicorder and creating an EDL (edit decision list).
For editing an expanded version of vMix Playlist with a timeline display – nothing too complicated, just enough to adjust the in an out points or change the selected camera.
It would not compete with NLE programmes like FCP or PP - for live performance video it would blow them out of the water.
Damn2Good4U  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 7:49:43 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I do a whole lot of multi-camera editing using Sony Vegas pro 12 all you need is to drop you sync clips on the timeline on top of each other and enable multi-camera edit and sony vegas will combine all the clips and make them one on just a single timeline.

If you are having issue with the audio sync, i will suggest you go buy plural eye... for sony vegas and if you are using Premiere Pro or FCP do same by looking for Plural Eye for them.

Remember, vMix is not and editing software, its a "Video Switcher".

All the best.
Brian Hazelden  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 11:29:10 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Damn2Good4U wrote:
Remember, vMix is not and editing software, its a "Video Switcher"

And is, by definition, a live editor.
What do you use vMix for if you are editing live multi-camera shoots in post with Sony Vegas Pro?

I'm not trying to pick an argument I'm interested in your workflow as I'm looking to get more involved in live multi-camera shoots.
Shureman  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 3:17:20 PM(UTC)
Shureman

First of all, I screwed up. I'm always confusing Sony's Creative software's names. I have Sony Sound Forge Pro 11, and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 12. Vegas Studio of course does not have multi-camera function, but indeed with a huge amount of patience I can construct a multi camera mix from splitting off clips from multiple timelines and placing them in an empty video channel all in a row - tedious to say the least. Using a screwdriver when you need a hammer is always frustrating.

Cyberlink power director 12 has a pretty intuitive multi camera mix function (with a pretty darn good automated synchronizer), as far as I can tell you can only do direct cuts, no fades or transitions between excerpted clips. That's one of the vmix features I really like about vMix. Also, Once you've made you clip segment selections, you can't alter their length after the fact like you can with Vegas Pro.

I've been told by friends the Adobe Premiere can be devilishly difficult to master so I've gone ahead and ordered Sony Vegas Pro 12. Since I'm already very familiar with it's younger brother Vegas Studio, I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too difficult.

I appreciate all the comments suggestions. I tried to follow Ice Stream's suggestion but could not really figure it out. Perhaps if you have the time you could write me a more detailed instruction. I really don't understand how to use the overlay function at all.

Thanks so much to all of you for heading me in the right direction.
Damn2Good4U  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 8:26:47 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Shureman wrote:
First of all, I screwed up. I'm always confusing Sony's Creative software's names. I have Sony Sound Forge Pro 11, and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 12. Vegas Studio of course does not have multi-camera function, but indeed with a huge amount of patience I can construct a multi camera mix from splitting off clips from multiple timelines and placing them in an empty video channel all in a row - tedious to say the least. Using a screwdriver when you need a hammer is always frustrating.

Cyberlink power director 12 has a pretty intuitive multi camera mix function (with a pretty darn good automated synchronizer), as far as I can tell you can only do direct cuts, no fades or transitions between excerpted clips. That's one of the vmix features I really like about vMix. Also, Once you've made you clip segment selections, you can't alter their length after the fact like you can with Vegas Pro.

I've been told by friends the Adobe Premiere can be devilishly difficult to master so I've gone ahead and ordered Sony Vegas Pro 12. Since I'm already very familiar with it's younger brother Vegas Studio, I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too difficult.

I appreciate all the comments suggestions. I tried to follow Ice Stream's suggestion but could not really figure it out. Perhaps if you have the time you could write me a more detailed instruction. I really don't understand how to use the overlay function at all.

Thanks so much to all of you for heading me in the right direction.

Sony Vegas Pro 13 was released some few weeks back.. all the best.
Shureman  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2014 10:25:19 PM(UTC)
Shureman

Sony Vegas Pro 13 was released some few weeks back.. all the best.

Maybe that's why I got SVP12 for $300 USD.
Don't you know 13 is bad luck!I'll wait for SVP14 to get the upgrade:)
SKYGIF  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:32:32 AM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

What IceStream Said...Premiere Pro is a beast of a program. And one of the cool new features is Multicam editing where you can edit up to like 18 videos live. I don't think you can cut to a camera or anything but doesn't sound like thats what you want. Also the cool thing in PPro, if you screw up a part you can adjust it after you're done with the live mix. It's how we do music video performance editing.
IceStream  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:40:53 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Shureman
I fully understand, most of us "creative" types are visual learners, so following descriptive instructions for an unfamiliar procedure can appear overly complicated. I tried to keep my instructions simple but obviously made some assumptions about your comfort level with vMix's feature set and UI navigation. And if that's not complicated enough already, upon further reflection, I've thought of another way you could start all your videos simultaneously using shortcut keys. So basically, to answer your original question, Yes, vMix can do that! But it would not be the preferred method. In fact my experience has been the reverse where a multicam shoot is actually switched live and then "fixed" in post with slave recordings made from each camera.
If you are really intent on using vMix for this, I would be happy to provide more step by step instructions, but as SKYGIF implies, if you screw up a "live mix" with vMix, you have no recourse other than starting over from the beginning...
Keep us all posted as to how you make out.

Ice
Shureman  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:43:57 PM(UTC)
Shureman

I'll be signing off after this. I feel a bit guilty using vMix's forum site to figure out the program does not fit my needs, but I appreciate all of you getting me to see that.
I ended up doing a five camera mix and audio sync of a 1'45" classical music recital with Sony Vegas Studio 11. No small feat - but worth the effort. Like jogging with sand-bags. It was a great way to really get agile with the Sony way of doing things. I've purchased Sony Vegas Pro 12 and will install it as soon as I do the finishing touches on my current project, though I must say Cyberlink Director Pro has so many of the same capabilities at a fraction of the cost.
It's been a pleasure - many thanks!
Bardos59  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:35:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

SKYGIF wrote:
What IceStream Said...Premiere Pro is a beast of a program. And one of the cool new features is Multicam editing where you can edit up to like 18 videos live. I don't think you can cut to a camera or anything but doesn't sound like thats what you want. Also the cool thing in PPro, if you screw up a part you can adjust it after you're done with the live mix. It's how we do music video performance editing.

I use Edius, and its great for multicam edits....works like a dream...was using Edius for many years for multicam edits......You can switch just like a live video switcher, even use the keypad to do your cuts and it has a multiview so you can see all your clips as they play...very simple and easy to work with.....
Brian Hazelden  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2014 4:46:45 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Bardos59 wrote:
SKYGIF wrote:

I use Edius, and its great for multicam edits....works like a dream...was using Edius for many years for multicam edits......You can switch just like a live video switcher, even use the keypad to do your cuts and it has a multiview so you can see all your clips as they play...very simple and easy to work with.....

Is it possible to edit straight from the camera cards?
Bardos59  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:01:59 AM(UTC)

Yes, but it is better to put all clips on the HD for faster reading....I do not use files from cards, I always copy them to my HD and then edit from there......
SKYGIF  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:16:45 AM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

Brian H. Yes you could but it's like going back to dial up internet...slow and choppy. And that's with the Really fast 1100x 160 MB/s cards that cost $500-$1000 a piece. Your better off buying big SSD. If money is an issue just grab a hybrid drive.
thanks 1 user thanked SKYGIF for this useful post.
Brian Hazelden on 5/6/2014(UTC)
Brian Hazelden  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:01:09 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Bardos59 wrote "Yes, but it is better to put all clips on the HD for faster reading...."

SKYGIF wrote "Yes you could but it's like going back to dial up internet...slow and choppy. And that's with the Really fast 1100x 160 MB/s cards that cost $500-$1000 a piece"

Thanks for that, but I don't need faster than real time reading. All I want is to edit from 6 AVCHD files at 24 mbps from 6 card readers attached to separate USB2 or USB3 sockets.
USB2 is capable of 480 mbps and USB3 5000 mbps, so where's the hold-up, bottleneck or whatever?
Bardos59  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:14:23 AM(UTC)

That is why it is better to copy the files to your Hard Drive....6 cards will be so hard on the CPU....and HD by itself is CPU intensive, far less 6 cards...like I say, copy to the hard dive, and save yourself problems with frame dropping, dropping out of sync, and causing you to cuss, get angry, frustrated, and more...make life easy on yourself and your PC....copy to the hard drive......