logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1C_PK  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2020 5:44:46 AM(UTC)
1C_PK

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, I am working with a small church to live-stream their service. We had already been working towards this prior to COVID-19 and are doing a soft rollout with much hair-pulling on some of our parts.

Hardware & Software:
-VMix (Trial version; we had liked this software best based upon reviews, but haven't bought the cow yet).
-Windows 10 machine; 300 Mbps wireless connection, only 4Gb memory, but otherwise well within the specs suggested here
-Netgear N600 Dual Band Gigabit router, currently dedicated to the IPad and computer (although it will provide the outgoing livestream during production)
-IPad
-Apple store version of NDICam ($10 version)

Background:
We live streamed last weekend with a USB Webcam and the computer corded up to the sound-board and projector while rolling around on a kitchen cart (think production studio redneck style). As we are currently using only hardware scavenged from members due to budget concerns we have an IPad and a member who does old-school film photography who had a tripod and were hoping to expand to a wireless camera in this fashion while research more permanent camera solutions.

The Issue when Testing:
Once both devices had been connected to the network with VMix and NDICam running on both. VMix recognize the NDICam through the network, but when opened up as an input it provided a completely blank black picture screen and no audio.

Not sure if this is currently user malfunction or poor quality hardware at some stage, looking to the community for help in diagnosing the problem.
1C_PK  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2020 9:16:22 AM(UTC)
1C_PK

United States

Update: (Additional info for diagnosticians)

With the IPad out of the building for now, I started up my labtop and installed the vMix Desktop Capture for NDI on it (labtop is a refurbished HP Pavilion with Windows 10, not sure of connection speed for it through wireless but Device Manager lists the Wireless as "Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165")

After starting up the vMix Desktop Capture on the labtop and vMix on the production computer the production computer found 3 NDI sources, "Display 1", "vMixDesktopCaptureNDI", and "Windows Explorer" (all of which I assume to be the labtop).

I have tried all three sources, and in all three cases:
-vMix on the production computer provided no sound and a black screen.
-vMixDesktopCaptureNDI always read "Ready (0 connections)"

In addition I have tried the following options within vMixDesktopCaptureNDI to while the production computer is set on the vMixDesktopCaptureNDI source.

switching the framerate to both 29.97 and 5
turning on and off GPU Acceleration

EDIT: Additionally just turned off the firewall on both computers and tried again, to no avail.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 9:05:43 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
NDI requires a wired connection. It is not recommended over Wifi. If you are limited to wifi only you ahve to use NDI|HX.
1C_PK  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 7:13:25 AM(UTC)
1C_PK

United States

thank you mavik,

LOL: Apparently I am like those people who purchase those HDMI to composite video cables. Had no idea I was purchasing a useless app, no surprise there though, you don't finish the research you pay the price.

Based upon the scant documentation I'd found on NDI-HX it appeared to need some sort of specialized hub for information transfer. Is this true or will any old router do (we are going to upgrade the router, I finally found through documentation that it is 2.4GHz and an upgrade given the low cost seems appropriate).

As I'm obviously clueless in this area, what is the advantage to using NDI over RTSP over UDP or TCP, especially if they need to be wired anyways (as I'm assuming I'd have to with the only NDI camera I've found close to our budget, it most likely uses the older NDI version) as I could incorporate POE if I have to wire the camera up in the first place?

Thank you,
mavik  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 7:39:33 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
NDI vs. RTSP is basically not much of a difference. With RTSP you need to know what to do. With NDI and it's auto-discovery it's a bit more targeted for the not so professional users.
If your camera does RTSP just use that. Try TCP vs. UDP. UDP is fire and forget, meaning that it is less false tolerant. TCP is more secure in terms of packet transmission.
livepad  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 9, 2020 8:50:50 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 1C_PK Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am working with a small church to live-stream their service. We had already been working towards this prior to COVID-19 and are doing a soft rollout with much hair-pulling on some of our parts.

Hardware & Software:
-VMix (Trial version; we had liked this software best based upon reviews, but haven't bought the cow yet).
-Windows 10 machine; 300 Mbps wireless connection, only 4Gb memory, but otherwise well within the specs suggested here
-Netgear N600 Dual Band Gigabit router, currently dedicated to the IPad and computer (although it will provide the outgoing livestream during production)
-IPad
-Apple store version of NDICam ($10 version)

Background:
We live streamed last weekend with a USB Webcam and the computer corded up to the sound-board and projector while rolling around on a kitchen cart (think production studio redneck style). As we are currently using only hardware scavenged from members due to budget concerns we have an IPad and a member who does old-school film photography who had a tripod and were hoping to expand to a wireless camera in this fashion while research more permanent camera solutions.

The Issue when Testing:
Once both devices had been connected to the network with VMix and NDICam running on both. VMix recognize the NDICam through the network, but when opened up as an input it provided a completely blank black picture screen and no audio.

Not sure if this is currently user malfunction or poor quality hardware at some stage, looking to the community for help in diagnosing the problem.

In most cases, a black screen is caused by 1 of 2 things

1) You have not granted the iOS app permission to access the camera. Fix this in app security settings
2) You have a firewall active on the Windows machine which is blocking something.

it's almost certainly not the NDICam app.

NB. NDICam supports Full NDI and NDI HX2 modes, so you have the choice.
https://apps.apple.com/u...ndicam/id1074065391?ls=1