logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sytem  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2020 2:33:12 AM(UTC)
sytem

Groups: Registered
Finland

Hello

Found an issue in our last weekends broadcast, suddenly audio in stream was very odd, stereo image broken etc. Without our audio engineer noticing anything in his console. Had game audio coming by NDI with embed audio, routed in VMIX to bus B -> DVS -> Yamaha mixer with other inputs -> back to Dante -> Master Bus

After quite long troubleshooting while broadcasting, I found that game audio was routed to every audio bus, instead of only B (Witch is the default for new inputs) Quickly disable those and everything ok again for the day. Later, inspecting what has happened, I had to change the gaming computer at the morning, and at that time, remembered to change only main input to new source name, not other, virtual source having multiview overlays enabled. And when the director noticed me that the camera layout for the game is not working, and changed that mid-broadcast, didn't look any audio meters or routings until like hour later while debugging the issue.

Now I tested and replicated this with my laptop (not our production pc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e_z1_GY9Co
(no any sound on recording, meters will show needed)

• Open some input as base image, and something to put on multiview
  • Test that audio goes to the correct bus
  • Add multiview
  • Change input one (the base input), test that audio still goes ok
  • Create virtual input of the input 1
  • play that virtual input, audio still ok
  • Change the virtual input to be something else, in my test even the same clip makes the difference
  • Test again, find audio on every bus, be very confused

After recording video, I tested little more, and seems that only virtual input is important part here, multiview do not make any difference. If I have an input and virtual input from that, changing the main input is ok, changing the virtual one makes routing go wild

One thing I cannot replicate today, why didn't the virtual NDI input change at the same time when master input changed? So why did I need to touch the base layer of my virtual input at all?

Any ideas, is this a bug in software, or just something stupid that no one should ever try to do, at least while broadcasting?