logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mgrayeb  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 5:28:06 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The other night, I tried using two pairs of Virtual Audio Cables to run audio to and from vMix with Zoom, and to and from vMix with Skype, all on the same laptop. So, I was using a total of four audio cables:

VAC #1 -- Audio Output from vMix to Zoom (selected as Audio Ouput on Channel A in vMix and Microphone in Zoom)
VAC #2 -- Audio Input from Zoom to vMix (selected as the "speaker" in Zoom and added as an audio input in vMix)
VAC #3 -- Audio Output from vMix to Skype (selected as Audio Output on Channel B in vMix and Microphone in Skype)
VAC #4 -- Audio Input from Skype to vMix (selected as the "speaker" in Skype and added as an audio input in vMix).

I was using this setup with a goal of having a guest come into my vMix show who would be sharing both her camera and her desktop screen since she would be presenting a PowerPoint document (hence the use of Zoom and not vMix Call).

My other goal is to be able to take calls from the audience and be able to screen them and add them to a queue (hence the use of Skype with a third party web-based app -- Call in Studio -- that is connected to Skype).

Note that I also had a separate guest coming in via vMix Call at the same time.

I found that this approach did not seem to work well. First, the audio feeds from the Zoom participant and the Skype call seemed dampened/lower in my ear no matter how much I adjusted the gain in input or in my volume controls for my earphones. Also, a test caller into the Call In Studio/Skype call could not hear the master output from vMix. (I have run this Call In Studio/Skype combination connected to vMix on this same laptop previously without issue -- just not at the same time I was connected to Zoom).

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue? Could it be that I'm putting too many simultaneous demands on the sound card in the laptop (since it's also handling the Master audio for my vMix production and, I presume, the vMix Call participant's audio)? Can I only route audio to either Zoom or Skype but not both using virtual audio cables at the same time? Something else?

My laptop specs: i7-8750h cpu, nVidia 1060 gpu, 16GB RAM.

Thanks.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 2:16:38 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I've done something similar, although it was some time ago. My old podcast combined a Hangout-on-air with an audio conference bridge and my local headset. That requires dual-mix-minus setups.

What you describe likely required 3 separate mix-minus setups.

I found it was much better to handle a lot of the sound outside of vMix using VoiceMeeter Banana (or Potato) to have control of levels and routing. This makes the mix-minuses vastly easier.

VAC is very powerful, but not very intuitive. And lacks visibility of what you're doing. VoiceMeeter is a lot easier, IMHO.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 2/4/2020(UTC)
MartLeib  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 2:24:28 AM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
I've done something similar, although it was some time ago. My old podcast combined a Hangout-on-air with an audio conference bridge and my local headset. That requires dual-mix-minus setups.

What you describe likely required 3 separate mix-minus setups.

I found it was much better to handle a lot of the sound outside of vMix using VoiceMeeter Banana (or Potato) to have control of levels and routing. This makes the mix-minuses vastly easier.

VAC is very powerful, but not very intuitive. And lacks visibility of what you're doing. VoiceMeeter is a lot easier, IMHO.

VoiceMeeter is the way to go.
thanks 1 user thanked MartLeib for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 2/4/2020(UTC)
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 4:04:14 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
For Main Audio to flow to VAC#3, each vMix Audio Input that you would like to send to Skype/Call-In Studio would need to have the A bus button depressed (green) and have the Automatically Mix Audio button off (gray).

I have helped a client set up nearly this exact same setup and it worked fine.

As for low headphone volume, check the "speaker" volume settings in Skype and Zoom to make sure they are 100%.

Best wishes!

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 2/4/2020(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2020 9:15:39 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sinc747 Go to Quoted Post
For Main Audio to flow to VAC#3, each vMix Audio Input that you would like to send to Skype/Call-In Studio would need to have the A bus button depressed (green) and have the Automatically Mix Audio button off (gray).

I have helped a client set up nearly this exact same setup and it worked fine.

As for low headphone volume, check the "speaker" volume settings in Skype and Zoom to make sure they are 100%.

Best wishes!

- Tom

Tom, re: VAC#3, did you mean I would have to have the "B" bus depressed (not the "A" bus, which is going to Zoom)?
sinc747  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2020 12:20:01 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Whoops! Yes, B. Sorry.

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 2/5/2020(UTC)