logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
superstreamer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 10:57:13 PM(UTC)
superstreamer

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello to all those vMIx & Ryzen lovers out there. Thinking of building a super fast and future proof vMix system using the latest Ryzen chips and motherboards. Is this the year vMix will bless the Ryzen chip and add it to their approved list as a high-end reference system. Would love to hear all your thoughts especially from those Ryzen fans. What about the latest 3970x chip? Is that a beast or what. vMIx, Nvidia & most latest Ryzen-what a great marriage! Would love to hear your thoughts on building a super beast high-end system based upon the newer Ryzen chips in 2020. Go Ryzen!
BionicTdb  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 12:21:45 AM(UTC)
BionicTdb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: superstreamer Go to Quoted Post
Hello to all those vMIx & Ryzen lovers out there. Thinking of building a super fast and future proof vMix system using the latest Ryzen chips and motherboards. Is this the year vMix will bless the Ryzen chip and add it to their approved list as a high-end reference system. Would love to hear all your thoughts especially from those Ryzen fans. What about the latest 3970x chip? Is that a beast or what. vMIx, Nvidia & most latest Ryzen-what a great marriage! Would love to hear your thoughts on building a super beast high-end system based upon the newer Ryzen chips in 2020. Go Ryzen!

i just did this as a test myself.

Ryzen 2700x (8 core 16 thread)
slow settings for CPU encoding (90-100% processor use)

Intel i9 9900K (8 core 16 thread)
slow settings for CPU encoding (50-80% processor use)

FYI the AMD processors do not support the full instruction set vMix wants to use. it is doubtful until they support the full set vMix wold support them.

However there is a video from them showing them testing the latest threadripper 3900x processor 32 core I think... perhaps watch it?

if your AMD CPU has a core clock of almost 5GHZ and over 8 cores, you should be able to use it without issues... vMiz wont fail but it also wont run as efficiently.

my experience has shown that on AMD you need 20-40% more CPU power to get the same results fro Intel.
ampstudios  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 11:22:48 AM(UTC)
ampstudios

Man
United States

I just built a vMix server with a 3700x (8c16t) and a 2060KO and I am loving it! I can stream to 3 destinations and record all at the same time with around 30% CPU usage. The updated NVENC hardware encoders are perfect for h.264 web streaming. Hope this was informative and good luck with your next build!