logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
r5dad  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 12:33:29 PM(UTC)
r5dad

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Wondering if it's possible to set DSK coordinates by function or web api?

I'm using all my DSK, but one of them is my picture in picture. I've setup buttons/hotkeys to change the location of the pip by turning on/off various multivew overlays, but I'd like to be able to merge from the pip to full screen and visa v.

Any suggestions?

Jon
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 6:11:48 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 922 time(s) in 761 post(s)
Quote:
merge from the pip to full screen

is same as here

r5dad  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 9:07:53 AM(UTC)
r5dad

I guess I'm not explaining myself well enough. I'll try and go into detail.

I have an input (PiP Master) upon which I've placed two multiview overlays. One in the bottom left (L), and one in the bottom right (R). On my control surface I have a function that toggles the overlays on/off. If L is on, R is off, and the opposite is true when flipped.

I then have another function that assigns the input of the L and R multivew overlays. I can assign any of the cameras, or the presentation, to L or R.

Based on where the speaker is wandering on stage, for example, walks left more than he does right, I hit my PiP swap function to disable L and enable R. This prevents him from walking behind the presentation slides.

For slides where the focus is on the slide and the speaker secondary, I can then assign my camera to one of the pip locations (L or R), select the presentation input and fade to it, then enable the PiP on DSK 2.

This works fine in most cases. But sometimes the speaker plays a video. In our current setup, I have to fade out the DSK, preview the presentation input, then fade to the presentation input. If the speaker pauses the video, I have to assign his camera to the PiP location of my choosing, then fade in the DSK. And reverse the process to exit the video.

What I'd rather do is merge from the PiP to full screen, then reassign the input and fade in the DSK.

I can do this IF i only use one DSK set to picture in picture and aligned appropriately. But I have two locations for my PiP, L and R. And it won't merge because my input on L or R is an overlay to PiP Master set to a DSK and therefore the PiP Master is already "full screen" so there is nothing to merge.

I'm trying to see if I can reconfigure to use another DSK, but I have triggers in place to prevent a PiP from being on screen at the same time as lyrics or a lower 3rd name card. I'd have to make sure I add extra triggers. But I also have to try and free up a DSK as they are all currently assigned, and lyrics share the same DSK as PiP Master.

What I'm looking for is the ability to change the settings of the overlay's (dsk) picture in picture location so that I can change it from within my function. Then i can get rid of PiP Master and just use the function overlay2on and specify the input. And if I can do that, THEN the merge from DSK to full screen will work.

The squerge effect is not relevant to my issue. But thank you.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jon
doggy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 5:16:53 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Still not grasping what you want but based on

Quote:
What I'm looking for is the ability to change the settings of the overlay's (dsk) picture in picture location so that I can change it from within my function

There is a function called SetPanX, SetPanY and SetZoom

Have used those to move a title to a position based on a mouseclick in the preview window :-) (combined with Autohotkey)
r5dad  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:30:19 PM(UTC)
r5dad

I'll take a look at that! In the web API would I just use &SetPanX=123&SetPanY=123 and the rest? Or do I need multiple? Since I'd only be moving from bottom left to bottom right, I think only one is needed as the other shouldn't change.

If that works, it's exactly what I'm looking for!

Thank you!
Jon
doggy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:44:19 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
would I just use &SetPanX=123&SetPanY=123 and the rest?

the numbers are the same you see when manually changing position of input settings
doggy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:50:52 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
&SetPanX=123&SetPanY=123

the numbers are the same you will get when manually changing position in the input settings

PanX, PanY and zoom are seperate functions !

try them first by creating a shortcut for them , this will guide you how to use them in a script or web API

They do work !
r5dad  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 4:59:27 AM(UTC)
r5dad

Playing with the setpanX function, Looks like I can only apply it to inputs, not to the overlays (dsk).

In order for this to work, I need to change the values of the overlay's pip location. For example, OverlayInputNSetPanX(Y, Z). Perhaps a feature request?

However, you telling me about this function definitely allows me to clean up and improve efficiency in how I change the location of the pip.

Thanks
Jon
doggy  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 5:12:57 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
Looks like I can only apply it to inputs, not to the overlays (dsk).

Don't one uses an input to overlay (1,2,3 & 4)?

While I still don't fully grasp your intention (often pictures are worth more than text ;-) ) i have the impression the whole setup needs to be simplified, sometimes looking at it from another direction helps
r5dad  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:12:52 AM(UTC)
r5dad

Yes, you do use an input to send to the overlay, but I'm wanting to change the overlay's coordinates.

If you open Overlay settings and set one to Picture in Picture, the lower section is enabled allowing you to resize the entire overlay. This allows you to send any input to your overlay and achieve the same size/location without having to adjust all your inputs. This also allows the merge to full function to work, since the original input is full screen.

My issue is that I want the picture in picture to be pragmatically assigned to the left or right, using the same overlay. Then I want to be able to merge from that overlay to a full input, or from full to overlay.

This doesn't work if you assign an input to the overlay that has a multiview overlay you are wanting to merge to/from.

I'll attempt to show using this pic. I'm not at the broadcast booth so I made this.

pipoverlays.png (37kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

As you can see, i have blue set to live, and PiPMaster on Overlay2. At any given time, Green or Red could be swapped, on, or off. As in, Red could be on the lower left instead of lower right, or not on at all. As a general rule of thumb, only one of the pip are on at a time.

For an example, say Red is active on the lower Right as pictured and Green is off. I want to merge from Red as an overlay, to red as my live out. Then in the future if Green is live out, I'd like to merge it to PiP on the lower left.

My work around does not allow a merge. I have the PiPMaster set with multivew overlays set to their coordinates. When I switch the location of the overlay, I turn off one and turn on the other. As a result, when I hit merge, it fades because PiPMaster is not the live output and even if it were, it's already full screen.

OvelrayExample.png (25kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

In the overlay Settings, the picture in picture location is a resized overlay of the input. The original input is still "full screen" in regards to that input's settings, but is zoomed and resized in the overlay. So the setpanx will change the original input's location full screen, but within the red box of the overlay.

However, the more I write about this, and think about it, the more it may be more fruitful to consider changing to the Squerge effect. It just means I'll have more inputs configured. I was trying to keep it clean. I've been able to keep our input count to less than 50. While our family stream preset has over 400 inputs. It takes a good minute or so to open that file!

Hope this helps you understand a bit more what I'm trying to do. Maybe I can get this to work, maybe I can't. But either way, a function to set coordinates of the overlay would be a nice feature to have. Even moving Multivew would be awesome!

Jon

doggy  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:23:41 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quick initial impression (getting late here)

JMO Forget the PIP in overlay, just work with multiviews , one can zoom and pan each individual element
Also the squeez back for quickly going to full stream could be part of your setup , remember then that all inputs basically are the same multiview then meaning all inputs included even if you cant see all of time at times see example here = 2 multiviews merging to another https://youtu.be/h9pVhhmtiTU
Virtual inputs ( duplicates) are also a useful option which also can individual elements have there inputs resized independently
r5dad  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 6:44:30 AM(UTC)
r5dad

You are probably right. I was trying to keep my layers under control. I had it that way in the past, I'll try a few test presets to see if it's better.

Thanks for your input.

Jon
r5dad  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 8:23:17 AM(UTC)
r5dad

Dude I got it!!

A new feature in vMix is the Mini Mixer!

I can set the PiPMaster as the output and send it to overlay. When I want to merge I set the preview of the mini mix to the input I want to merge and tell the mini mixer to merge! It works!

Now I have to get the mini mixer to work via web API for my control surface.

Thanks for the help!
Jon
r5dad  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 12:00:59 PM(UTC)
r5dad

http://localhost:8088/API/?Function=Merge&Mix=1

It's the Mix=1

To add a new mix, click the little triangle next to Input and click "Mix."

And you can have 4 mini mixers that can all have separate in/outs and overlay each other!!! This does exactly what I need, even if way over complicated.

Thanks for the help.

Jon
doggy  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 7:05:12 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

KISS !

- 3 inputs : red, green and your main (1,2 & 3)
- Create a virtual and add red and green to it and resize those (4)
- duplicate (4) 4 times and resize/position the green and reds (the ones you don't see are still there but zoomed out all the way) / left edge on the full sized ones to explain
- move the basic inputs (1 to 4) to a different (color)category for example or minimize them so visually the inputs will be the only ones you will manipulate

now merge between 5,6,7,8 will give you nice transitions

one can still resize/reposition individual multiview layers manually or through shortcuts or script if needed or duplicate 4 again for another layout

you still have your 4 overlay available for other stuff like titles

prep.JPG (165kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
r5dad  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 11:41:29 PM(UTC)
r5dad

I agree with keeping it simple, however, by duplicating all the inputs, i also have to duplicate the buttons on my control surface.

So in order to keep my control surface simple, my preset has to be complicated. And actually, it's not all that complicated. It's just a submix that is universally able to be overlain on top of any input without extra configuration.

By using the Mix2 setup, I can keep one button per camera applicable to any state. And in the future when we increase cameras, there will be very little setup.

I use the streamdeck. I have my PiP control folder which is where the PiP is defined. i can modify those functions to also preview the defined PiP and location in Mix2.

When I hit the merge button, it tells mix2 to merge.

The more I think about it, using Mix2 for full screen pip, then creating a mix3 for squerge, allows me to be quite flexible and keep my streamdeck streamlined!

But my mom will tell you, I've always found ways to over complicate and call it simple.

Jon
doggy  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 11:45:02 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
But my mom will tell you, I've always found ways to over complicate and call it simple.

LOL