logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jayrod7387  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 5:17:59 AM(UTC)
jayrod7387

Groups: Registered
United States

I LOVE vMIX, but getting my company to switch hinges on a a simple feature! We really need auto refresh for the slideshow. basically need it to recognize changed and/or added/removed slides/images in the folder. Currently the only way I am aware of doing this is right click the input and refresh images. We have someone update these images in the folder from another computer so its important to maintain this feature if we adopt vMix. Thanks.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 5:48:15 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
ResetInput (see ShortCuts)

for auto refresh one could use a countdown timer somewhere and restart the timer with trigger or use it in a script
jayrod7387  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 6:40:49 AM(UTC)
jayrod7387

United States

How would you use a script to refresh this input?
doggy  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 6:57:55 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
How would you use a script to refresh this input?

by manually starting it of by means of a shortcut (see settings -> scripting to create one )

the script would probably contain (vb.net language):
the instruction to ResetInput (function) the input you specify
have it wait for a while and loop back to do ResetInput again and so on

Creating scripts is only possible in 4K and pro license

the trigger oncountdowncompleted in a title works well too and probably easier to modify the time between resets
-

jayrod7387  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 1:14:22 PM(UTC)
jayrod7387

United States

Thanks! I got it working with a script. Although I still think something so simple should be a "feature" lol. Thanks for the help!
TBacker  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 5:10:31 AM(UTC)
TBacker

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
ALSO - when this type of input is refreshed, it needs to be seamless. Right now you can't refresh it while it's live because it visually resets as well (brief flash, immediate queue reset to image 1, etc.).

jayrod7387  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:24:17 AM(UTC)
jayrod7387

United States

I agree...it should be a lot cleaner. right now i am triggering it based on transition in and it looks fine but I would rather refresh it while its live or not. Preferably close to real time. even 30seconds to a minute to refresh would be great.
doggy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:54:15 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
Right now you can't refresh it while it's live because it visually resets as well (brief flash,....

What to expect? it's preloading all the images for more efficient use

Quote:
immediate queue reset to image 1, etc.).

not if you set it to "current"

While its all possible i wonder if this is really the appropriate use (of vMix) for a slideshow this way
TBacker  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 10:09:32 AM(UTC)
TBacker

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Right now you can't refresh it while it's live because it visually resets as well (brief flash,....

What to expect? it's preloading all the images for more efficient use

I understand that, but that doesn't necessitate display disruption if active. If I were coding it would go:

Refresh clicked -> Load images from source path into NEW memory queue -> Next scheduled image switch switches to new queue (rather than next image in existing queue) -> dispose old queue.

And the same sequence could conceivably be done when changes were detected in the source path when the proposed auto update feature were turned on.

With a bit of additional code, it could conceivably even keep it's position in the new updated queue if the currently displayed image is still there. For example, if it's displaying Image4.png, refreshes, and finds Image4.png in the new queue, it would transition to the next image after it rather than resetting to the top of the new updated queue.

MattyG  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2020 10:38:13 AM(UTC)
MattyG

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm glad I found this thread. I am implementing the same function and had not thought of scheduling a refresh. The system will be run from an external control system so the user interface will not be touched. I hear the dilemma with refresh causing an interruption in the output. I think for my application I can do an update in the middle of the night where the disruption won't be noticed. If there isn't an unnoticed time then I wonder about using 2 inputs and automating every other night an input is refreshed and transitioned to the new slideshow. This way it will simply switch back and forth each night. The slideshow will start from the beginning, but it will have a smooth transition.

I don't see that function in the function list for shortcuts. Sounds like the only way to add this to a shortcut is to have the shortcut activate a script which would need 4K or Pro. To clarify, is this correct?: There is no way to activate the "Refresh Photos" function in other versions except to use the right-click menu.