logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patlaw  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:30:44 PM(UTC)
patlaw

Groups: Registered

The Vmix help file says, "Make sure any external audio sources are connected to the external Audio Mixer instead of vMix. When adding capture (camera) inputs in vMix, the audio source should be set to None." My audio is fed through an external audio mixer to a line input on the computer. The audio should be from that mixer. If I set the audio source to None, there is no audio. If I set it to the sound card, there is audio.

Is there a better tutorial on the way Vmix handles audio? I'm an audio engineer but a video neophyte. The Vmix audio routing is not yet intuitive to me.
bfreemannh  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:16:02 PM(UTC)
bfreemannh

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Have you tried adding your audio device as a separate input source?
Go to: Add input\Audio Input\select your audio device.

I think it is better to do this, rather then add it as an audio source with your camera.
patlaw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:19:12 PM(UTC)
patlaw

No, I don't understand that configuration. It would be helpful to have something to read to understand the software. I did as you suggested and was able to see audio input, but the audio meters are not moving in the preview. Obviously I have no clue what I'm doing.
ask  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:57:43 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Have a look at the help files as a starting point. To hear the audio associated with an input you need to click on the"audio" button on that input. You can also see the audio once activated in the Mixer. Click the Speaker Icon button (bottom right of screen) to bring up the Audio Mixer.
patlaw  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:57:00 AM(UTC)
patlaw

ask wrote:
Have a look at the help files as a starting point.

As I first posted, "The Vmix help file says..." Unfortunately, the help files are confusing, at least to me as a beginner. For example, what do I set to "none"?

Quote:
To hear the audio associated with an input you need to click on the"audio" button on that input.

Got it.

Quote:
You can also see the audio once activated in the Mixer. Click the Speaker Icon button (bottom right of screen) to bring up the Audio Mixer.

Yes, I see that as well. Now the audio being sent to vMix is being returned (echoing) to my mixer.

A buddy who is pretty good with video switching software is going to take a look at vMix and try to explain what I'm missing. If that's not successful, I'll just have to stick with Wirecast and XSplit.
admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:04:45 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

There is a page in the help file that has a diagram when using an external mixer.
Basically you set the audio input you have from the mixer in vMix Settings under the Audio tab, make sure you have vMix 12 as well.

See the Advanced setup below:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help12/RecordingAudio.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
SKYGIF  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:33:49 AM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Patlaw It sounds like your computer just needs to be switched to the right sound card via the windows control panel audio settings. In Vmix just add a separate audio input and select the sound card you want to hear audio from. Mine comes up as Maudio 1/2 meaning channels 1 and 2 on my audio interface. Or I could just choose MAudio Multi which includes all 8 of my inputs on my interface. Once selected and I make sure that signal is flowing from the mic to the audio interface to the computer via the audio interface control panel I'm good. Vmix should show levels jumping when I play audio or talk using a mic from the Maudio interface. If it still doesn't work the problem is likely to be with a setting on the audio interface or the control panel for that interface. And BTW If you are not using an audio interface at all well there is the problem.