logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TBacker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:37:49 PM(UTC)
TBacker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
vMix is currently aggressive with it's caching of images for titles. By that I mean once it has loaded / cached an image from a particular file for a title, it will not update that cached / displayed image no matter what you do to the original file. You either have to rename the file and re-pick it in the title editor, or reload the whole vMix session profile. We've been caught multiple times displaying old images after changes were made on the fly to the image file. This also is a major gotcha if you replace an existing image file and display the title that uses it - you will see the OLD image.

I understand this is for resource management as loading the file each time would be very slow and laggy. However, may I suggest that vMix cache the source files timestamp and size and use it to detect if that file has changed, and if so to reload it into the title the next time it gets displayed?

Also, the ability to clear the image from title editor would be nice. Right now you have to set an actual blank/transparent file to clear an image. In my mind there should be a clear or reset button next to the content box in title editor (for text or images) that would erase any text or image information.

Finally, I would also think that if you have title presets with no image specified for an image field, then when selected, it should clear that displayed image (hide, make transparent, or revert to the default title image stored with the title). For example, title preset 1 is currently displayed and has Image1.png set for it's background image. Preset 2 gets selected which has nothing specified for Background_Image, so the displayed Background_Image should clear in my opinion. Current behavior is to retain the last image assigned until told to specifically load a different one.

It's tough to describe this - hopefully I was clear enough.