logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JBaptista68  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 7:46:19 PM(UTC)
JBaptista68

Groups: Registered

Hey there VMIX folks! I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for battery operated wireless IP Camera that could be placed inside a car for shooting car races and picked up by VMIX. We really just want some secondary shots of the driver or the track. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
thepelell  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:34:25 PM(UTC)
thepelell

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i work with live events in motorsports.. getting reliable wireless video is very tricky, and you won't get it with onboard wifi from chep ip cameras, it just isn't good enough. If you are ok with SD resolution, you can use digital 2.4ghz composite video tx-rx sets, you receive the video as composite so you need to feed it to your pc with some kind of capture card or usb dongle. I have received images on straight at mugello race track with speed of over 130mph, up to 1 km, but tx and rx must see each other, you can't go through obstacles.
If you want to go ip camera route, you need better wireless bridges like Ubiquity 5.8ghz systems or Microtik or other similar good 5.8 systems, 2.4 is really too crowded. Problem with ip based solution, is when you loose connection, it takes ages to reconnect..
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:22:00 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Thepelell, I do live waterski events. I have tried several relatively inexpensive SD video tx-rx units to transmit video from the boat to shore with limited success. Mostly using 900mhz or 2.4ghz units from Hong Kong. The southern heat in the middle of summer is not their friend. If you have some specific brands/models that have worked reliably at a reasonable cost, I would like to know what they are. I need a minimum of 1000ft line of sight transmission - 2000ft would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

Kelvin