logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TVCOM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:23:10 PM(UTC)
TVCOM

Groups: Registered
Czech Republic

Hi,
please i am starting to be a little desprite about this.

We built a brand new studio working with NDI and DANTE. I have 2x PC with 10gb lan cards, switch with 2 10gbs ports, and may 1gbs ports with poe all checked by people who knows what they do to make LAN working properly.

When i copy some files, everything is as it should be, i reach 10gbps speed etc.

When i use vmix and i want to test this LAN possibilities i can never send more like 1,5 gbps and recieve more like 2gbps. Are there some restristion by vmix about the traffic which can ndi make?

I need to have like 10-12 ndi inputs and like 8 outputs and when i reach not even those numbers, my inputs and outputs sometimes starts to lag. With 1 input being like 140 mbps and all the investments which were made here i am really not in a comfort spot to be confident using this for a production i need.

I already tested a lot of settings like disabling all other 1gb ethernets, some windows intput output limits and such things but nothing helped and those 10gb ethernets just dont seem to work well with vmix.

Any ideas?

Ondřej
kevev  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:18:49 AM(UTC)
kevev

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TVCOM Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
please i am starting to be a little desprite about this.

We built a brand new studio working with NDI and DANTE. I have 2x PC with 10gb lan cards, switch with 2 10gbs ports, and may 1gbs ports with poe all checked by people who knows what they do to make LAN working properly.

When i copy some files, everything is as it should be, i reach 10gbps speed etc.

When i use vmix and i want to test this LAN possibilities i can never send more like 1,5 gbps and recieve more like 2gbps. Are there some restristion by vmix about the traffic which can ndi make?

I need to have like 10-12 ndi inputs and like 8 outputs and when i reach not even those numbers, my inputs and outputs sometimes starts to lag. With 1 input being like 140 mbps and all the investments which were made here i am really not in a comfort spot to be confident using this for a production i need.

I already tested a lot of settings like disabling all other 1gb ethernets, some windows intput output limits and such things but nothing helped and those 10gb ethernets just dont seem to work well with vmix.

Any ideas?

Ondřej

Lots of questions for you:

1.) What is the network flow for these file copies? PC1-->10GB port in on switch-->10GB port out on switch-->PC2, like this?

2.) What brand/model switch?

3.) What are each of your 10-12 NDI sources? (brand/model)

4.) What Dante equipment are you using, and how are they connected to network exactly?

5.) What is the resolution/framerate/bitrate of your 8 NDI outputs?

6.) What is the network flow for your 8 NDI outputs all the way to each of their destinations?

7.) If you are running Windows 10 on these PCs, what does Task Manager show for CPU/RAM/DISK/Network utilization?
TVCOM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:09:04 PM(UTC)
TVCOM

Czech Republic

Hi,
thank you for paying attention to my topic. Next thing i found out is that if i send output to birddog ndi studio or kiloview n20 from 10gb lan card it laggs, when i lower speed to 1 gb (speed of lan) its immediately ok.

I ll try to answer:
1)yes, i tryed to copy from 10gb port to 10gb port.

2) i tryed 2 switches already. Right now its this one https://images.mironet.cz/foto/3/91403907/1.jpg

3) my NDI sources are all going through birddog ndi studio or kiloview n20, both behaving exactly the same way. I use some outputs from vmix to 3 monitors, then i collect 4-5 cameras inside studio, one of the monitor is touch screen so i have output with drawing from this one, then i send 2 outputs from the second pc to the first one.

4) behringer x32 compact with 32 dante channel card, dante virtual card and dante controller in pc

5)i am sending 1080p25 with +-110-140 mbps

6) right now i had those 8 outputs just during test as i cant safely afford them. Each is around that 140-110 mbps

7) task manager shows very good number. Im using 32gb ram, i9-9900KS, and gtx 2060 super, so on the second tab of task manager numbers are good, on the first tab, where is network also in % the number i correct but if i turn on some other 1gb lan cardds on that pc when there is for example 900mb it shows 90% which is not logic for me.

I also tryed to use 2-3 1gb lan cards but i dont know how to set it up to be able to use 2-3 gb bandwith so there was always like 1,2 gb max during my tests.
e.belyshev  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 5:35:46 PM(UTC)
e.belyshev

United States

So did you resolve your problem with network switches getting overloaded by NDI & Dante? Have you tried Netgear M4300 series. They claim to be fully optimized for what you are doing. Make sure you are using fully managed switches with these requirements met:

Settings for Dante:

- Disable EEE (also called Green Ethernet)
- Non-blocking
- Quality of Service (QoS) with four queues

DSCP Value | Priority | Usage

CS7 | High | Time critical PTP events
EF | Medium | Audio, PTP
CS1 | Low | (reserved)
BestEffort | None | Other traffic

- Diffserv (DSCP) QoS with strict priority

Settings for NDI:

- Disable Quality of Service
- Disable Jumbo Frames
- Enable Flow Control as Asymmetrical of Simply as On
- Enable IGMP Snooping if Using Multicast (mDNS)
- Configure IGMP Querier and Query Interval Per Switch in Multi-Switch Networks (While Using Multicast)

Dealing with Firewalls

- mDNS must be accessible
- Manual discover requires access to port 5960 for messaging and all coming after 5961 for streams
- Check the port range from Microsoft PC’s using Cmd: ntsh

Here are the recommended settings for your switch:
https://help.ptzoptics.c...etwork-for-ptzoptics-ndi