logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tracecomplete  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 1:11:17 PM(UTC)
tracecomplete

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey folks-- so my background is primarily in audio engineering (both live and writing software for it), so I'm struggling with the audio options available to me in vMix. They feel pretty disappointing at any sort of rigorous scale, so I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding some things. Right now for some live stuff I'm working on I'm having to ride herd on a lot of voice inputs (up to 16, though not all at once) as well as some remote inputs via HDMI-capture-to-NDI and vMix Call. I'm used to being able to create a bus and use that as a combination point for mixing, e.g. feeding the combined signal of all microphones into a single compressor for consistent de-essing/limiting. It seems as though vMix doesn't support this workflow; while you get two aux buses and more in vMix 23 it sure seems as though you can't then use those buses to send mixed audio to master. Is this correct? If not, how can it be done?

If that isn't possible, how can I save presets of VSTs/etc. to apply them to multiple inputs? For example, my first 6 XLR inputs are all in the same physical space, so I want similar low-cuts and the like to be in place.

Failing that, is there a clean and maintainable way (I know vMix doesn't support Rewire--to its detriment) to get audio outputs, such as vMix Call inputs, to route out into a DAW so they can be routed back into vMix? I'm not really interested in "virtual audio cables" or other high-latency jank; this feels like a problem that should have a clear solution provided by vMix and I'd like to know how to do so in a way that anybody else familiar with vMix could walk in, see, and understand without significant diagramming or explanation. (To be clear, to me this is a complete failure case; it means I lose auto switching.)

Thanks!
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 7:10:45 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tracecomplete Go to Quoted Post
...you can't then use those buses to send mixed audio to master. Is this correct?...

No, this is not correct. In the audio mixer output section you have a "M" button on each output (aux) bus. And guess what this button is for?
It's also stated in the Manual https://www.vmix.com/help23/Mixer.html
Quote:
Sending Audio Bus to Master
Click the M button underneath buses A-G to include the audio in Master and Headphones.
tracecomplete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:45:33 AM(UTC)
tracecomplete

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey, thanks for the response! Candidly, I think the snark is unwarranted, because you're linking to the documentation for a version of vMix that isn't out yet, but I'm glad that when vMix 23 hits we'll have access to this!
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:27:10 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Nope, I just answered your question in which you clearly referenced v23:
Originally Posted by: tracecomplete Go to Quoted Post
...while you get two aux buses and more in vMix 23 it sure seems as though you can't then use those buses to send mixed audio to master. Is this correct?...

You asked about a function in v23 and I answered about that function in v23. So what was wrong with my answer and where was the unwarranted snark? And I just love to point to the documentation :-)

BTW I'm pretty sure that the current preview is very close to the release version and that the release date is not that far away.
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:36:28 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
There's just one problem that I see with the current implementation in the v23 beta, and that is the fact that the virtual "insert point" for adding VST plugins (for things like dynamics processing) is post-fader, whereas there are definitely occasions where it would be more useful if it were pre-fader.

For example, if you wish to assign a group of mic inputs to a bus (eg. FX mics at a stadium/arena/track), put the combined mix through a compressor/limiter, and then be able to adjust the level of that compressed sub-mix as part of the master mix (eg. to ride the level of the compressed FX group against a commentary mic input), then you would need the group bus fader to be after the compressor/limiter, because you have no other level control within the master mix once you press the M button to add the group to the Master. As it is now, using the bus fader would just adjust the level being fed to the compressor in the group bus, which produces a completely different result.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
General.F on 1/18/2020(UTC)
mavik  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:09:27 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I 100% agree with zenvideo. If you run 16+ audio channels in vmix and your (tracecomplete) background is audio engineering I would assume you would want to use an external audio mixer with automix (dan dugan) and ingest just a sum into vmix. Not saying that vmix would benefit from a pre/post fader setting.