logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SanAequitas  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 8:10:46 AM(UTC)
SanAequitas

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey guys,

So I work for an AV company, and we recently had an emergency situation trying to stream a show last minute. vMix was one of the search results that we saw might be able to do what we need. However, it didn't quite make it.

Our setup includes several cameras, laptops, etc going into a Panasonic HS-6000 switcher, which then feeds our various outputs with a 1080i59.94 signal. It's SDI out, so using a DAC70 or a Decimator mini to convert to HDMI, then hitting an HDMI-USB-c adaptor to input into the laptop. Per HP's website, the laptop our guy had is able to accept HDMI-in in his USB-c ports.

BUT, we couldn't see any signal, or even just set the USB-c port as a potential camera source in his vMix. Is there any particular software anyone here knows of to make this work? We do have BMagic WebPresenters and other hardware that comes with dedicated software for this purpose, but we didn't have time to retrieve that gear (or the Livestream box). And that software is gear-specific, it doesn't allow for a simple HDMI-in plugged into the laptop.

So I'm looking for something (software) that simply recognizes an HDMI input, and makes that available to the laptop as a camera source. Any ideas?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:39:27 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SanAequitas Go to Quoted Post
an HDMI-USB-c adaptor to input into the laptop.

By "adapter" do you mean connector format? I've never heard of an "adapter" that's a capture device.

What you need is a USB connected capture dongle. There are a lot of these around. I've used this one from Magewell: https://amzn.to/2rssBp0

Yuan is another good name.

They comes in HDMI and SDI inputs. If you get one that handles SDI directly you may not need the Decimater Mini.

Such devices are usually UVC sources, meaning that no specific driver is required. It just uses the Windows built-in video class driver. The source should be visible to any app that would use a webcam.

PS - I do use a Decimater x-convertor in some cases where the source resolution is changing and I need vMix to see a constant input signal.
hellokitty  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:33:57 AM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
you can use a Blackmajic Sdi to hdmi converter, then use a Elgato Camlink 4K. thats pretty cheep and works.
SanAequitas  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 2:09:39 AM(UTC)
SanAequitas

United States

By "adapter" do you mean connector format? I've never heard of an "adapter" that's a capture device.

It's a regular usb-c to hdmi dongle, usually for laptop output. I think it was actually the Apple triple head (power/hdmi/usb). But since usb-c is a universal in/out connector/power/other, all I should need is a software side solution to recognize that as incoming video, not outgoing. And per HP's website, my buddy's laptop should be good for usb-c as an hdmi input, they just didn't give him any more info on actually seeing the signal.

you can use a Blackmajic Sdi to hdmi converter, then use a Elgato Camlink 4K. thats pretty cheep and works.
What you need is a USB connected capture dongle. There are a lot of these around. I've used this one from Magewell: https://amzn.to/2rssBp0

We have the equipment, generally a BMagic WebPresenter would work for this. (Or, we'd just use our Livestream box.) The problem was that we had over an hour in traffic to get the gear delivered to us on showsite, and we didn't have the time. So I was looking for a quickie solution using the gear we already had. Ordering stuff woulda taken even longer :p