logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Barson  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:03:08 AM(UTC)
John Barson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I posted earlier about my problems with my new MSI P75 Creator series laptop with a nvidia RTX 2060 8gb ram (MAX Q)/ Intel Core i9-9880H/32GB RAM

I have found nothing but problems and I am sure it is because vmix is not integrating the new drivers properly. It seems to me the new nvidia creator drivers are looking for hooks in the application software to turn on and use the RTX 2070 drivers for vmix. When I run vmix I get an error saying my gpu is overloading and the camera feed in vmix is way, way behind which is crazy with 8GB of fast gpu ram and a 2070. Then when I run it sometime later it seems to run fine. I have the nvidia setting selected to run vmix in the desktop gpu settings but it does not always seem to work.

My question is for the team at vmix. Have you looked into this? Is my laptop on crack and not functioning properly? MSI support says all of my problems are between vmix and nvidia's new creator drivers. Almost impossible to schedule interviews until I get this solver.

T.I.A.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:03:55 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
vMix is known to work with the "normal" RTX driver. You could try that and see if it's any better. I would expect the GPU to work with it in any case.
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:36:41 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Aha! It was tricky to get to the details, but the i9-9880H has an on-board GPU, Intel® UHD Graphics 630!

https://ark.intel.com/co...ache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html

That suggests that your problem might be like what people used to experience with "Optimus" graphics. vMix is using the Intel GPU, not the RTX.

You should be able to forcible disable the Intel GPU in the BIOS.

I saw this in August when I had a Lenovo X1 Extreme for a few weeks. vMix would overwhelm the Intel GPU. I could force it to use the GTX GPU and all was well.
John Barson  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2019 12:14:52 PM(UTC)
John Barson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got vmix working on my MSI Creator laptop. I purchased a Sonnet Echo Express SE III Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis and installed my Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K HDMI camera interface. In the Nvidia Control Panel admin I select Manage 3D settings. Once there I click Program Settings and the Select a Program to Customize and scroll down to c:\program files (x86)\vmix\vmix64.exe

Below that dropdown is option 2 Select Preferred Graphics Processor for this program where I choose High-Performance NVIDIA processor.

I also purchased an HDMI to USB 3.1 adaptor to connect my monitor to the Sonnet Echo so my monitor is working off of the Thunderbolt port.

Now I can run vmix with no problems as long as after it boots up on the laptop I drag it over to the external monitor. If I leave it on the laptop screen it will crass in seconds.

But now my problem is vmix does not recognize the laptop screen as the second screen so I can't use the Fullscreen option. So I have just ordered another monitor. A 24" HD Dell with a USB C to Display Port cable. I have two USB C ports on this laptop so I will see if that works. If not I will have to purchase another card for my Sonnet Echo to interface the second monitor but I hope not.

I'll let you know what happens...

Johnny B

PS the fan on the Sonnet Echo Express was WAY TOO LOUD. I don't know how they measured the sound levels (db). Maybe it was from another room. In any event I opened up the box and unplugged the fan. I left the box open to help dissipate the heat. Zero noise. I called Sonnet and they were like...what?... that's crazy. I said I do not want any bloody fan noise 3 feet away from my microphone when doing an interview. Problem solved...