logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ronald555  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:01:07 AM(UTC)
Ronald555

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
All my virtual PTZ presets where gone after starting vMix this morning.
They are now all clones off the original camera input.
I can still make new PTZ presets, but the old ones are still clones off the current camera image.
How can this happen?
Can I restore them some way?

I am using the newest vMix 22 with a Sony SNC-ZP550 camera.
Ronald555  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2019 9:39:37 PM(UTC)
Ronald555

I made a copy of the original .vmix file and opened it with an editor and I noticed that the PTZ preset data is stored as key strings.
These keys are changing every time, even when they represent exact the same PTZ position.

When I replace the 'lost preset' keys by 'working preset' keys from another .vmix file then all those presets are available and working.
(on the other hand, when I copy the 'lost preset' keys to another .vmix file they are still lost)

It seems that the keys from the lost presets are for some reason not valid anymore, what can be the reason of this?
Ronald555  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2019 9:45:44 PM(UTC)
Ronald555

Nobody with the same experience?

I also noticed that sometimes after starting vMix the PTZ connection is not established.
(the camera connection is OK because I have live image)

Can it be caused by the source camera being connected via rtsp?
Ronald555  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:03:09 PM(UTC)
Ronald555

This is becoming a bit of a monologue, but I want to know 1 thing for sure.

Is the virtial PTZ feature ment for a reliable alternative for a dedicated PTZ controller or only for temporary use during a show?
(then it is still a very valuable feature though).

I simply can't risk that my basic presets are gone again when I need them.
scottosaur  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:16:20 AM(UTC)
scottosaur

United States

I don't have a ton of info to add, but I haven't seen this issue. I use vMix as my main PTZ controller, and have a few different .vmix files with basic presets for a few different event types. I've never had the presets fail to load correctly. I'm using PTZOptics cameras, and they've been pretty reliable in vMix.

Definitely will keep an eye on this thread, because issues like this would be a big drawback.
Ronald555  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 12:38:02 AM(UTC)
Ronald555

It looks like the RTSP stream caused the problem.

I replaced the RTSP input by a video capture device (much less latency and the cpu dropped by 10%).

PTZ control seems now stable.

dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:11:59 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
I had the same issue on the weekend, reproduced and clarified it with the vMix support. I did not know that the PTZ virtual inputs are tied to the input size. This was the only thread I found on that topic, so here the solution for future reference:

The issue is due to changing the Input Size in your vMix Display Settings. If you go back to the original input size you were using when you created those presets, then it will work again.

When you create any PTZ Virtual Input presets, it is also directly tied to that input size as well. So the thumbnails are generated for that particular input size. When the input size changes, the thumbnails won't work anymore. Neither will the PTZ Virtual input preset positions either.
matkeane  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2021 3:56:56 AM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
PTZ virtual inputs are tied to the input size

Wait.. What ? Changing the display size of the inputs in the UI removes the PTZ camera position presets? Did vMix support explain the rationale behind that?

I also encountered the issue on a project using Virtual Sets where, after working fine for the first 2 days, on the 3rd day all the PTZ positions were lost. I've been hunting for the reason for this - assuming was a technical glitch - but I only just found this thread. I have to admit that it never occurred to me that it could have been due to somebody making what seems like an innocuous change to the UI settings.

The user guide doesn't mention any side-effects of changing the input display size, and I don't see anything related in the feature requests, but then again, it sounds more like a bug to me. I can see why input thumbnails would need to be regenerated, but PTZ positions are very important in a virtual set production and - to my mind - should be preserved.
dmwkr  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2021 10:02:06 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
I was surprised that this issue hadn't come up more often in the forums and I didn't find a solution. So, I thought nobody had this issue. I can't give more information on the technical reason behind it (haven't gotten it from support), but I'm glad I got to know why it happened at all. :)
rkaushik  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 4:16:55 AM(UTC)
rkaushik

Canada

I have encountered the issue. Surprised that no one else is reporting it.
I lost my ptz virtual inputs when I upgraded from 24.0.0.50 - > 24.0.0.51 couple of weeks back. I rolled back then. Today I upgraded to 24.0.0.56 and my ptz virtual inputs are lost again. Rolling back to 50 again. Seems to be a bug in the upgrade. I can recreate them and it works but its a tedious task with over 20 virtual inputs.
My set up includes 3 ptzoptics cameras which drive several virtual inputs for different deities in a temple.
Btw, I don't use any ptz controllers. All my ptz movement is done via these virtual inputs. Volunteers who do mixing are so easy to train with a simple setup all driven within vmix.
mgrayeb  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2022 8:55:19 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rkaushik Go to Quoted Post
I have encountered the issue. Surprised that no one else is reporting it.
I lost my ptz virtual inputs when I upgraded from 24.0.0.50 - > 24.0.0.51 couple of weeks back. I rolled back then. Today I upgraded to 24.0.0.56 and my ptz virtual inputs are lost again. Rolling back to 50 again. Seems to be a bug in the upgrade. I can recreate them and it works but its a tedious task with over 20 virtual inputs.
My set up includes 3 ptzoptics cameras which drive several virtual inputs for different deities in a temple.
Btw, I don't use any ptz controllers. All my ptz movement is done via these virtual inputs. Volunteers who do mixing are so easy to train with a simple setup all driven within vmix.

Have you noticed whether this issue continues whenever you update vMix?

I'm going to be setting up some PTZ cameras for a church and training their volunteers and my concern is that if the virtual positions are lost every time vMix is updated, that would be a problem because I'm trying to setup various camera positions and same them to a Stream Deck for "push and play" ease for volunteers.