logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DDB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 5:40:06 AM(UTC)
DDB

Groups: Registered

I am diving into bringing on podcast guests via video (previously I ran solo) and would love to have the guests come in at 1080p. I'm ASSUMING that this isn't possible given the browser or am I wrong? Any way to get incoming guests to 1080p? Zoom Business can do 1080p but it requires 10 hosts.

As well, is anyone else using Vmix Call regularly for interviews? I'd be curious your workflow during and post-production?

Thank you SO much!

Daryl
mashynewie2  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:05:16 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Every time i've used it, it has been 720p.

You can use 1080p with a set bitrate by installing vMix trial on the guests PC.
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2019 3:50:08 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Not technically impossible, but perhaps not possible using the tools available to you at present.

The GetUserMedia function in WebRTC supports cameras up to 4K. However, other aspects to the browser may not.

As a practical matter most WebRTC services deliver 720p because that's the baseline deliverable by any USB 2.0 connected webcam.

To deliver 1080p requires a lot more logic to determine the webcam in use and set it up correctly. USB 2.0 webcams like the Logitech C920 (still the world's most popular webcam) must be set for MJPEG to deliver 1080p30.

Many built-in webcams won't deliver anything beyond 720p.

If you use an instance of vMix at both ends you get a lot more control of the situation.
AgentPete  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:42:06 AM(UTC)
AgentPete

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We use vMixCall every week, bringing in two remote guests. The show goes out at 1080p but obviously guests' own video ranges from pretty good to terrible. Most recent show, below, was the first time in two years that we've had a guest's video bork out completely, and that was the doing of his local Maltese ISP. Keeping the guests' video inside their own window helps preserve the effect of hi-def:

clafarge  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 11:32:57 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The Doc for vMixcall (https://www.vmix.com/help22/index.htm?VideoCall.html) indicates that it maxes out at 720p (refers to 2mbps connection, which I think indicates 720p max).

I use vMixCall for my clients who typically have 4-6 participants. Here's a sample with 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-JJVc3B8Ho

I just recommended that they upgrade to 1080p webcams, and then realized that vMixCall has that 720p limitation and am scrambling for a 1080p solution, too.

It looks like Skype for Creators might allow up to 4 and provide NDI of those... I don't know if the "4" includes me (who does not need to appear) or allows for 4 remote guests, but in either case, I need 5/6.

Anyone else have thoughts on this challenge?

Best,

Chad
mgrayeb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 12:39:08 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: clafarge Go to Quoted Post
The Doc for vMixcall (https://www.vmix.com/help22/index.htm?VideoCall.html) indicates that it maxes out at 720p (refers to 2mbps connection, which I think indicates 720p max).

I use vMixCall for my clients who typically have 4-6 participants. Here's a sample with 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-JJVc3B8Ho

I just recommended that they upgrade to 1080p webcams, and then realized that vMixCall has that 720p limitation and am scrambling for a 1080p solution, too.

It looks like Skype for Creators might allow up to 4 and provide NDI of those... I don't know if the "4" includes me (who does not need to appear) or allows for 4 remote guests, but in either case, I need 5/6.

Anyone else have thoughts on this challenge?

Best,

Chad

Chad, I'm curious, what is your upload and download bandwidth speed and do you stream to more than one destination or just YouTube? I'm wondering if you're using 2mbps upload speed for each vMix Call guest.
clafarge  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 2:48:40 AM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

MG,

Mine is a 900/50 Mbps connection, but for practical purposes is about 100/40 Mbps. The client site, about 800 miles away, has a connection of about 500/50 Mbps. They normally send 5 streams from that site which all share that bandwidth. They are great clients to work with, as they are open-minded and willing to work for results... many clients aren't as helpful, but there is a limit to the level of complexity that I feel is appropriate to ask of them.

I return to the primary caller a 720p 800kbps Multiview and to each secondary caller the 720p 800kbps Output to reduce the bandwidth usage.

We only stream to one destination: YouTube, at this time. We stream 1080p 6Mbps (which might be overkill) as it's mostly a composite scene of multiple scaled callers, and we sometimes include additional video assets.

I don't feel any of us have the spare bandwidth to add another destination.

I hope this makes sense.

Best,

Chad
thanks 1 user thanked clafarge for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 3/13/2020(UTC)
mjgraves  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 5:20:44 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Browser access to vMix Call may not be the approach that delivers what you ask.

You'd be better off to use a copy of vMix at each end. That way you have explicit control of the resolution of the video in both directions.

If that's not practical, because they're unwilling or wholly non-technical, you may have to live with 720p.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
clafarge on 3/20/2020(UTC)
clafarge  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 12:15:07 PM(UTC)
clafarge

Man
United States

While non-technical is one reasonable description, they also use Macs :(.

Chad