logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
video review sl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:19:02 AM(UTC)
video review sl

Groups: Registered

I webcast on IBM and have been running into issues lately when using the vMix presets.

vMix Preset:
H.264 1080p 6Mbps AAC 128Kbps
Profile: Baseline
Level: 3.1
Preset: veryfast
Keyframe 2 seconds
Threads: 4
Network Buffer: 20

I'm very curious about how this setting is a preset because when I look-up the 3.1 level in Wikipedia, this level has a max of 720 30p. So what is it doing in a 1080 preset?

These are the IBM recommended encoding settings:
https://support.video.ib...mended-encoding-settings

HD 1080 1920x1080 4,000-8,000 kbps 192kbps 48kHz 25/30/60 h.264 Main or High 1 Second AAC-LC Stereo

So I went-in and changed to high 5.0 with a keyframe of 1 second. Unfortunately there is no way to save stream settings in vMix. It looks like they can be saved at a profile level but because I stream to multiple channels, depending on the client, I would prefer to have this setting be a pre-set that I can call-on for new and existing profiles, rather than having to create it from scratch or have to double check every time.

admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:35:46 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4161 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

The Level setting doesn't impact the encoding in vMix is mostly used as a hint for older hardware decoders
that have limited capabilities. (such as say MP4 files targeting a PS4)

As such we haven't encountered any streaming services that actually use this level for anything important, hence why leaving
it at the default generally works fine, even if technically it doesn't fit the resolution/bitrate selected.

I would be curious to know more about the issues you have encountered, as it seems unlikely the level could cause any issues.

Regards,

Martin
vMix