logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Barson  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 10:33:20 AM(UTC)
John Barson

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone here tested and/or used an MSI P75 Creator series laptop? I just purchased one along with a ton of new lighting and microphone equipment to improve the quality of my productions. Since I plan on being mobile I felt I should go with a fast system with what I thought would be the best combination of features.

Intel Core i9-9880H 2.30GHz,
32GB RAM, 2 x 1TB SSD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB,
Windows 10 Pro

I purchased the Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus interface for my camera and laptop only to find out that I cannot take advantage of the Nvidia 2060 processing because the HDMI ports are hardwired to the intel chipset. Nowhere on any of the sites promoting this laptop could I find any mention of this. Everybody raves about the processing power, video power, 32GB of RAM, etc., but no mention of the fact you cannot use the 2070 processing unless you are playing a game or using the thunderbolt port. And I am not even sure that will work because there doesn't seem to be any way to turn on the 2070 for the laptop screen, only intel. When I called MSI they said the reason the system defaults to the intel video chipset is to extend battery life. I said the why (insert expletive) do you not say that in any of your marketing material? Why do none of your resellers mention that on their websites? His only response was that if I exchanged the magewell capture card for a thunderbolt enclosure I should be able to use the "Creator" laptop for my creating. We'll see. BHPhoto is on another holiday and I will only have maybe one day to test the theory that it will work with Vmix and a thunderbolt capture card before my return date comes and goes...

What I am currently seeing however is that with the built in web camera when I run vmix I get a periodic flashing black screen. I just did a test with that setup and when I watched the video back the flashing screen was also captured in the output. Any idea what that could be?

Johnny B

Just wanted to point out the system works fine for post production. I'm looking at footage I recorded in Las Vegas last week. I stream, record, run my animated banners, lower thirds, etc. with no problems and no flickering black screen. So it seems so far the screen only flickers in vmix when using a camera to actually record in real-time on this laptop. Which means I can't use this laptop for live streaming or studio recording. Have to record on the camera and bring in the footage that way which eliminates interviewing guests and streaming with vmix in real-time.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 10:51:20 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This doesn't seem right. It's like the Optimus systems of old with two GPUs. You can disable the Intel GPU in the BIOS, then use just the nVidia GPU.

This is what I did with a Lenovo X1 Extreme.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
John Barson on 10/21/2019(UTC)
elgarf  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 6:15:33 PM(UTC)
elgarf

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 224 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I got GS65 2018, and HDMI & miniDP wired to GTX 1060, but USB-C wired to Intel HD.
Don't think it's a big flawless because it still uses Optimus. For ultimate performance you must get laptop without optimus at all, or with hardware/bios switch.
thanks 1 user thanked elgarf for this useful post.
John Barson on 10/21/2019(UTC)
John Barson  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 11:49:56 PM(UTC)
John Barson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Should have mentioned there is no option in the MSI BIOS to disable the intel integrated video. However...it prompted me to check to see if the Nvidia program had that option. The program is different than my desktop version. So here is what I did to solve my problem:

Right click on desktop and choose Nvidia control panel
click Manage 3D settings
Note on the next screen you will see Select a program to customize and VMIX is NOT on the list...but do not despair. Click ADD and in the next pop up click the the Browse button on the bottom right of that window.
Go to c:/Program Files (X86)/vmix/ and then scroll down to vmix64 and select it (if you have 64bit OS)

when you go back to the Manage 3D settings just confirm under program settings you have

2. Use global setting (High-Performance NVIDIA processor)

Click apply and presto...you can use the Nvidia gpu.

Damn...I've already rma'd the magewell HDMI interface. I wish I had figured this out before I sent that back in exchange for the Thunderbolt external case for my HDMI interface card. I'd like to test to see if that would work.

If anybody else has the opportunity to try this solution and find that the Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus works with this solution please let me know. It will be more convenient for mobile shoots.

One last thing. MSI support really sucks. After spending 3 days setting up the new laptop, installing software, porting 15 years of emails over into outlook, and everything else I used their update drivers program only to lose my audio. No audio, anywhere. I called support and the guy, who sounded like he just finished a big fatty, said I should not use there update program and that I should not update my drivers if everything is working. What an idiot. He told me that I had to reset to factory settings, which means lose all of my work. Not the solution I was looking for. So I went into control panel, uninstalled the audio drivers, downloaded the drivers directly and installed them. Problem solved. Did not follow his idiotic advice. He was the same guy that said there was no way to use the Nvidia GPU without a thunderbolt enclosure which is why I sent the Magewell interface back to BHPhoto in exchange for a Thunderbolt enclosure. I'll call them and ask them if they would mind testing the Magewell with the MSI creator to see if it will work. I don't want to spend another $500 and my time to find out it doesn't work.

My two cents...

mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:01:01 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Barson Go to Quoted Post

Damn...I've already rma'd the magewell HDMI interface. I wish I had figured this out before I sent that back in exchange for the Thunderbolt external case for my HDMI interface card. I'd like to test to see if that would work.

There's no reason to believe that the Magewell interface would not work. As long as the laptop has the required USB connection. It's a generic UVC device.

There's something magical about Amazon, or buying stuff online. I buy stuff, try it, and send it back if it doesn't meet expectation.

If you can make a Logitech Brio webcam work at 4K30 with that laptop, there's every reason to think that the Magwell interface would work fine.