logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Clocksmith  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:31:11 AM(UTC)
Clocksmith

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I've searched the forum for a while but I've not found exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I'm planning on linking 3 venues for an event via point-to-point vMix call. Each venue will have it's own copy of vMix.

I'll be having one host site and two sites will dial in to the host, the return video feed to each remote site will be the program feed from the host site which will be whichever site is speaking. Each venue will have large screen, PA and mics to view and hear each site as they take turns speaking.

Will I have any issues with echo or feedback or will the mix-minus take care of it all?

Thanks in advance.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:42:12 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
vMix Call's mix-minus does not take care of audio played out on the PA if the mics on stage picks it up and sends it to vMix. You'll get echo /crosstalk.

Conference/Call apps like Skype and StarLeaf have built in echo cancellation, vMix Call does not.

You can mute the mic's manually (good luck), or wish for something like https://forums.vmix.com/...nd-Sidechain-Compression
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:55:53 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post

Conference/Call apps like Skype and StarLeaf have built in echo cancellation, vMix Call does not.

That's not strictly true. As a webRTC application, vMix call does leverage the browsers built-in echo cancellation. This is how you can have a remote participant without using a headset. It's always better to have them use a headset, but it's possible for them to get by without one.

You must be careful about audio paths, with a mix-minus setup for each remote connection.

I've use the Freeswitch Verto client (also WebRTC, similar to vMix Call) to put a remote presenter on the projectors at a conference. The present came over the PA and had a feed back to him, so he could take questions.

The project was the Freeswitch Developers Conference (aka Cluecon) so it was not appropriate to use vMix Call.

I could have done this with multiple guests, if I had enough audio routing flexibility.

I suspect that vMix-to-vMix is similar.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:36:55 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
That's not strictly true. As a webRTC application, vMix call does leverage the browsers built-in echo cancellation. This is how you can have a remote participant without using a headset. It's always better to have them use a headset, but it's possible for them to get by without one.

That might be true in theory. But our experience is that vMix Call with PA results in severe audio problems. Skype and StarLeaf works OK with PA for us though. But we preferr the simplicity with vMix Call for vMix-ed productions.

richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:36:18 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

interested might consider this FR https://forums.vmix.com/...nd-Sidechain-Compression
mashynewie2  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:56:41 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)