logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simsyuk  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:55:57 AM(UTC)
Simsyuk

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi all, I'm still having streaming issues when using Skype. I can broadcast pretty well but when I use Skype via NDI (NDI settings to low bandwidth selected), the quality of the video input is really poor (sound is okay), also we keep dropping the Skype stream.

I have 80mb download and 20mb upload. I can use Skype perfectly without vMix, but as soon as I use vMix, I get these issues.

Doe's anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out? I've even tried lowing the stream to 1mb, this doesn't help.

Current Streaming settings:

Facebook H264 720p - 1.5mps AAC 128bps. If I go higher I get even poorer quality.
Application FFMPEG
Use Hardware Encoder - Yes (Geforce GTX 980)
Keyframe frequency - 1 second

Thanks in advance.
trevsdad  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:08:03 AM(UTC)
trevsdad

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First off, Skype suks! ever since MS bought it. It's a resourse hog and MS is unable or unwilling to make it a little more user friendly. Unfortunately, for those of us who use it to bring guests into our stream, it's the only game in town, but that's changing...more about that in a sec.

Best practice for Skype on a stream (...if you haven't done so already) is to separate vMix and and Skype on two different computers. This 'dual' setup is very common in streaming since it allows you to spread out the CPU usage instead of trying to get one computer to do it all. If vMix performs well on your exsisting box, make sure your second box has a similar graphics card (something aroud an nvidia 1050 or higher) Hardwire (...no WiFi) both to your LAN and install NDI and 'Virtual Audio Cable' on both to share audio and the Skype feed.

You can put it all on one box, but the rig has GOT to be a beast!...top of the line CPU, GC, RAM, the works. That may be cost prohibative for most.

I've managed to tame Skype for my live streamed talk program, but I still have occational issues. I'm in the process of evaluating 'Zoom' as a replacement. Zoom has recently added some new features that appear to make if suitable for bringing guests into vMix instead of just functioning as a conferencing app.

Hope this helps...
thanks 1 user thanked trevsdad for this useful post.
Simsyuk on 10/14/2019(UTC)
elvis55  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:32:59 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked elvis55 for this useful post.
Simsyuk on 10/14/2019(UTC)
Simsyuk  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 11:53:22 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: trevsdad Go to Quoted Post
First off, Skype suks! ever since MS bought it. It's a resourse hog and MS is unable or unwilling to make it a little more user friendly. Unfortunately, for those of us who use it to bring guests into our stream, it's the only game in town, but that's changing...more about that in a sec.

Best practice for Skype on a stream (...if you haven't done so already) is to separate vMix and and Skype on two different computers. This 'dual' setup is very common in streaming since it allows you to spread out the CPU usage instead of trying to get one computer to do it all. If vMix performs well on your exsisting box, make sure your second box has a similar graphics card (something aroud an nvidia 1050 or higher) Hardwire (...no WiFi) both to your LAN and install NDI and 'Virtual Audio Cable' on both to share audio and the Skype feed.

You can put it all on one box, but the rig has GOT to be a beast!...top of the line CPU, GC, RAM, the works. That may be cost prohibative for most.

I've managed to tame Skype for my live streamed talk program, but I still have occational issues. I'm in the process of evaluating 'Zoom' as a replacement. Zoom has recently added some new features that appear to make if suitable for bringing guests into vMix instead of just functioning as a conferencing app.

Hope this helps...

Yes it doe's thank you for that. I'll give it a go.

Simsyuk  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 11:54:43 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: elvis55 Go to Quoted Post

Thaks Elvis, I did notice that and have given it a try.