logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidelsbury  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:22:41 PM(UTC)
davidelsbury

Groups: Registered

Hello all,
I have a project where I potentially want someone to commentate on a pre-recorded sports video from another city.
I was considering if I could set up a vMix call session, play the video out to them fullscreen, and have them commentate the video - their audio would be mixed with the existing audio, and then recorded together to create the final product.

I would just have them turn off their webcam, and wear a headset to try and maximise the audio quality.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
Thanks!
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:24:56 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Sure. No reason that can't work. You don't even need to "turn off" their webcam. Just don't use their video. Sustain their audio while showing the other video. Easy peasy.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
davidelsbury on 10/9/2019(UTC)
stevethornley  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 12:12:03 AM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
David

I'm involved in a similar project over here in the UK using and the biggest issue we have at the moment is latency. I would be interested to plot your journey: we might be able to help each other. What sort of network speeds do you have over there?

Steve
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:08:05 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stevethornley Go to Quoted Post
I'm involved in a similar project over here in the UK using and the biggest issue we have at the moment is latency. I would be interested to plot your journey: we might be able to help each other. What sort of network speeds do you have over there?

Network speed has literally nothing to do with latency. Latency is all about network path.

vMix call uses WebRTC which is specifically designed for real-time communications. Think video conferencing or voice-over-IP telephony, where latency is a killer. (Also where I've made my living in recent years.)

If it can, it will establish a peer-to-peer connection between your vMix instance and the browser used to connect to the vMix Call. Direct peer-to-peer ensures the lowest latency.

There may be network elements (restrictive routers, firewalls) in the path that block direct peer-to-peer communications. In that case, the media streams are routed through a TURN server. The TURN server solves the connectivity problem, but adds some latency in the process.

None of that is anything you can control. It just helps to be aware of what's going on under the covers.
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:55:30 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
If latency from the commentator is an issue, send them the "live" feed of your pre-recorded event, but do a local recording of the same video but delayed by, say, 500ms. That will make their comments match the "live" action a bit better.

- Tom