logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
danspada  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:15:09 AM(UTC)
danspada

Groups: Registered

I got a brand new gaming laptop and attempted to use the NDI. I set it up to record exactly like my old slower laptop. But a couple seconds after I begin playing I lose Internet connection. At first I didn't make the connection, but then I used my elgato and it worked fine. The second I unplugged my elgato and used the NDI I lost Internet again. This happened three or four times. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 10:47:30 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
NDI is very high bandwidth. It may not work well unless your Wifi is exceptionally good. You are much better of using Ethernet.
danspada  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2019 3:31:12 AM(UTC)
danspada

Thank you for your response. It just seems strange that I never had problems with my clunky computer, but now with a fast computer it is having issues. When you say use an Ethernet, does that mean take one computer and plug it into the other with an Ethernet cable? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything properly. Thank you so much for all of your help!
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 1:49:20 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
An NDI connection may use as 100-200 Mbps. Your WiFi may not deliver that much bandwidth. So your access to the internet may struggle when you are also trying to send an NDI stream over the same WiFi connection.

WiFi is the bottleneck in that case. Connect the computer to your network using an Ethernet cable.

Presuming your switch has gigabit ethernet, an you use cat5e or better cables, you will have better results.