logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
goaliebob99  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:34:30 PM(UTC)
goaliebob99

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm having an issue with a venue that I am using Vmix with. I don't think this is a vmix issue but I would throw this out here as someone might know how to resolve the audio issues were having in the venue.

Input - XLR mic's (3) into a Behringer Xenyx with the USB output into Vmix.

Were taking the output of Vmix (analog out of the PC) 3.5 mm jack to XLR into a Bogden GS150D on mic input 1.

The issue we are having is when we set the output level of vmix, IE sounds, music, video ect. and get the levels set right on the in house speakers it sounds great, but when someone talks into the microphones we can't hear anyone talking on the speakers in the room. In order to get people to hear the program in room where the presenters are, we have to turn up the output volume of the PC wayyyy up and even then there still are complaints that people in the audience cant hear.

Program output and the monitors in the control room which is connected to the same output through the same 3.5mm jack sound great and the program levels via vmix audio meters look balanced. If the music sounds great, so should the mics.

This is driving me nuts as the in-room sound so people in the back can hear the presenters can't hear well. I also don't want to overdrive to the point where we start getting feedback. Any help would be appreciated.

The other issue is I have extremely limited access to the venue to test and already are limited to a 2-hour setup window.

IMG_3125.jpg (459kb) downloaded 0 time(s). IMG_3126.jpg (441kb) downloaded 1 time(s). IMG_3122.jpg (668kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Joeboe  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:12:42 PM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I am a bit lost at what you are saying....where is the speakers mic plugged in.....If they are plugged into the PC to use vMix, then you may need a small mixer to help in that matter...I use my audio most times directly from the sound system in some cases, but then feed that into my own mixer before sending it to vMix...in that way, I have better control...I assign one channel to the speakers, and another channel to what is on the PC for play out....and use vMix to control the output volumes......In the instructions that you can download from the vMix site, you will see a simple setup using an audio mixer.....
goaliebob99  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 10:37:15 PM(UTC)
goaliebob99

United States

Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
I am a bit lost at what you are saying....where is the speakers mic plugged in.....If they are plugged into the PC to use vMix, then you may need a small mixer to help in that matter...I use my audio most times directly from the sound system in some cases, but then feed that into my own mixer before sending it to vMix...in that way, I have better control...I assign one channel to the speakers, and another channel to what is on the PC for play out....and use vMix to control the output volumes......In the instructions that you can download from the vMix site, you will see a simple setup using an audio mixer.....

I am using a mixer. The issue is with the house PA system. When it's fed the output from Vmix, it will play system sounds fine but wont play anything from the microphones fine when those are on-air through Vmix. It's like no one is talking even though program output has the mics and the levels are fine.

The setup goes like this:

Mic's 1,2, & 3 --> Mixer --> Vmix --> House PA System.

Mic XLR into Mixer --> USB output into VMIX --> Vmix output (3.5mm jack to xlr) --> XLR input on House PA system --> PA speaker output 4 speakers.

I am feeding the house PA system the program output of Vmix which should include system sounds from vmix sources and the USB input that has the 3 microphones on them. The problem is the house PA system has good levels on the system audio (IE: Spotify is an input using virtual cable) So when I have an input on the program out that uses the spotify input it sounds great, but when I switch to one of my cameras that uses the USB input as a source, on program output the audio is great on everything except for the house PA. I have a 3.5mm splitter that also connects to the speakers in the control room and you can hear audio fine there so the 3.5 mm output is good.

Over the PA system is where the system audio sounds good but the audio from the microphones is lost.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:02:34 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
goaliebob99,
you don't specify which PA Amplifier it is. But at least the Bogen Communications GS100D Gold Seal Series has advanced signal processing, e.g. "Aux input muting".
My wild guess is that the house mikes (Mic 1-3 on the amplifier) are still on and pick up your mikes and mutes the Aux coming from your vMix PC audio out. Or some other signal processing in the Amplifier kicks in to prevent audio loopback.

Side note, your Behringer mixer USB to vMix adds a slight audio delay, means the PA will produce bad lip sync.
Better get all you audio (mikes and videos, etc) into the Behringer and feed its Main out to PA.