logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dnfeal  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:51:33 AM(UTC)
dnfeal

Groups: Registered

I have a panasonic PV-GS200 3ccd camera with a dv output and s-connector output. I purchased a blackmagic intensity shuttle usb 3.0 and connected s-connector on the camera to the s-connector input on the blackmagic shuttle. Upon connecting the shuttle to my computer neither vMix nor the blackmagic media express software were able to detect the presence of my camera. If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate a pointer as I'm a new user.

There are several options I've considered:
1) getting a dv to hdmi cable and plugging that into the blackmagic shuttle (although it's not clear to me then why I'd need the blackmagic product as my computer has an hdmi input)
2) getting a dv to video/audio cable and plugging that into the blackmagic shuttle
3) while not an option, one thought that crossed my mind is that the camera either doesn't provide a streamed output while in the record mode or there's no documentation on it. In the former case I'd be interested in a recommendation for an inexpensive camera that does.

Thanks for your thoughts.

David
Brian Hazelden  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:41:45 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Have you configured your input in the Blackmagic Control Panel? In W7 this is Start\Control Panel\Hardware & Sound\Blackmagic Control Panel.
dnfeal  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:20:12 PM(UTC)
dnfeal

I'm using w8 and when I go to Blackmagic Design control panel no options are accessible. It says "No Settings Required".
The settings are:
- output: All outputs active
- input: SDI Video & SDI Audio
- NTSC: 7.5IRE

David
Brian Hazelden  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:18:10 PM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Hmm! Something's not right. The USB3 Shuttle does not have SDI input. Did you install the drivers from the CD that came with the BM Intensity Shuttle?
BM also sell a Hyperdeck Shuttle, a box for an external hard drive, that has HDMI and SDI inputs. It's possible that W8 has chosen to install that driver 'cos computers aren't very intelligent - they only think they are.

dnfeal  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 3:28:05 AM(UTC)
dnfeal

Hi Brian,
I did not install anything from the CD that came with the BM shuttle. The CD had a file called DesktopVideo_Windows9.7.7 but I downloaded BlackMagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_10.0 from the website, per instructions, which I came to by following the links for the Intensity Shuttle product and selecting the support tab. I ran that file instead because it appeared to be the newer version of the same software. Let me know if you think I messed up the install.

Having said that I think the video camera I have is just outdated and neither the dv nor s-connector outputs are used for live video out, only recorded video. I'll comb through the manual one more time however before I go out and buy a new camera.

David
Brian Hazelden  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 7:25:11 AM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Hi David,

That sounds the right way to go.

I installed from the CD and the software checks for updates and, if selected, installs them, which works very well.

I had a look at the read-me file for BlackMagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_10.0. and W8 is not listed as supported for the USB3 Shuttle.
The Shuttle also has a history of being very picky about working with various hardware, the Renasas USB3 chipset seemingly the most (only?) reliable solution.
I mention this as I would hate to see you buy a new cam only to find that the Shuttle still doesn't work with your hardware.

The BM control panel should allow you to choose a device, (eg. PCIe Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle) and an input and output for that device. SDI is not available on the USB3 Shuttle, so either the driver is not correctly installed, or perhaps you are not accessing the right software.

Googling the camera for user reports on live output should answer that query. Blackmagic user forums, or Google should tell you whether the USB3 shuttle works with your PC hardware and/or W8. Firewire cards are cheap, if you don't already have a port, but you'll get a bit more latency than with a Shuttle or PCI card.

As for your original options I've never heard of a DV to HDMI cable or a PC with an HDMI "in" port, so be wary.

The Panasonic PV-GS200 has composite A/V out - I'd try that first, and a video source known to work, like a DVD player or satellite box that has S-Video, Component (YUV) or Composite outputs.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Brian
thanks 1 user thanked Brian Hazelden for this useful post.
dnfeal on 3/26/2014(UTC)
dnfeal  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:06:40 PM(UTC)
dnfeal

Hi Brain,

Thanks for sticking with me on this. Ultimately I reinstalled the software starting with the DesktopVideo (v.9.7.7) on the BMdisk. That had all kinds of problems so I tried upgrading to v.10.0 downloading the file from the BM website. Voila! Both vMix and the BM Media express recognize the existence of the BM shuttle.

However, I'm still not quite there as neither actually capture an image. Per your suggestion I tested the old panasonic this time using av out into the video/audio L/audio R ports of the television to see if any signal was coming out. It was and worked just fine.

So while both vMix and BM Media express now recognize the BM intensity shuttle and we know video is coming out of the camera, neither capture it.

One last thing: the BM Control Panel is now accessible and I have the input set to composite video and analog audio. The panel does not have an option to select a device, but I only have one available.

Any thoughts on why I'm not getting an image?

David

Brian Hazelden  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:22:27 PM(UTC)
Brian Hazelden

Hi David,
That's good news. It's probably just the settings now. I've just had a quick look at BM Media Express and I can't find settings for SD so vMix might be your best bet. I'm guessing that your camera is not HDV. SD should be something like 720x480 NTSC 29.07 or 30 fps, but I'm guessing again 'cos I'm in PAL land where it's 720x576 PAL at 25 fps.
Add an input in vMix by clicking "Add Input\Capture\Select your device\Choose your settings ..........
Good luck
Brian

dnfeal  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:07:59 AM(UTC)
dnfeal

Hi Brian,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I got tied up with other things. I did want to let you however that everything is working now and thank you again for your assistance.

Best regards,
David