logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guztavo  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 10:15:00 PM(UTC)
guztavo

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi!!

I'm writing because i'm a little concerned about how robotization will impact on our bussiness.
This week, one of our big customers (a basketball league in Argentina) notified that this season all streaming providers will be replaced for four automated cameras installed on each stadium that works without human intervention.
The provider of that service it's an european company (i don't know the name).
But.. the question is how are you dealing with this? Robotization will impact in our work. https://www.pixellot.tv/broadcast/ provides that kind of solutions... did you tested? Do you use remote PTZ cameras to do something similar?
I always think that the "one man productions" has some errors because one person should operate sound, replays, overlays, tape, but automated streaming break everything.
Thanks!

Best regards

guztavo
bcolgate  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 3:00:24 AM(UTC)
bcolgate

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Guztavo,

I hear you, and I feel your pain with you. It is short-sighted on management's part, and if you or I were calling the shots, it would never be a consideration. I don't think any AI-driven camera operation could be as good as a human operator, at least not in the next decade or two, but clearly management has chosen this, probably for economic reasons.

That said, PTZ cameras are great, and are even better when well-controlled by competent humans. Certainly be ready and available if/when things go poorly for them. Have a plan.

Lastly, I would say that few industries change as much as ours has. Some things will change and never return. Sometimes the pendulum swings, and then swings back, but you may be making buggy whips in an era of model T cars.

Best wishes,

-Bruce

Peter1000  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 3:38:27 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
The television industry, like all other industries, has evolved. Cars have long been built with robots. Interpreters are being replaced by programs like deepl.com. I've been in the TV business for a long time. In the beginning we started for a talk with 3 people already 2 days before the production, had a huge power requirement, only for the light. Then came the digital technology, LED light, cheaper cameras, even cheaper cameras, robot cameras, more effective video technology.
The big production companies lost many orders to smaller companies, which realized the production with 3-4 employees.
These in turn lost their orders to companies that produced everything with only one employee. And also you, Guztavo, may have taken over the production from another company. And again and again someone comes who promises to make it even cheaper.
Like Pixellote or a few others. The development in this direction is a rapidly growing market. The Spanish football leagues have installed up to 8 cameras in each stadium, which generate a fully automated feed for further analysis. Everything is operated by one person in one office somewhere. The user interface is similar to the Outlook calendar. In a few years the feed might be good enough to replace the "real" TV production.
Progress is inevitable in our society. Automation will revolutionize our business in the next few years.

https://www.automatic.tv/
https://www.pixellot.tv/...posure-ice-sports-spain/