logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WCRowan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2014 6:10:05 PM(UTC)
WCRowan

Groups: Registered

I am currently using Livesteam (http://new.livestream.com/home) currently to webcast Basketball Games using Blackmagic ATEM 1 Switch and Livestream Broadcaster. I would like to continue to use the Livestream service but replace the hardware with pc and vMix. Is vMix compatible with Livesteam service?
lbgaus  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:01:01 AM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Are you looking to keep the Livestream Broadcaster hardware device or use the vMix PC to do this?

If Yes, you can use an external output in vMix to send to a compatible video output PCI express card with an HDMI port, and use an HDMI cable to connect your Livestream device.

If No, if your computer is powerful enough to encode the vMix output into H.264/AAC, you should be able to publish it to Livestream with their software and/or the RTMP publishing feature in vMix.

While I have not personally used Livestream before, I recall they might be stricter about the software they allow to connect to their service and publish. Best to search this forum for other's comments on that. Your best guarantee is to use the Livestream device with vMix to avoid bottlenecking your vMix computer with the encoding responsibility.
thanks 1 user thanked lbgaus for this useful post.
WCRowan on 3/20/2014(UTC)
r@wisla  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:49:53 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
lbgaus wrote:
Are you looking to keep the Livestream Broadcaster hardware device or use the vMix PC to do this?

Livestream Broadcaster is unable to stream in multiple bitrates. If you need it, this is not a solution for you. You need a second PC/laptop with capture card to encode the stream or...
lbgaus wrote:
if your computer is powerful enough to encode the vMix output into H.264/AAC, you should be able to publish it to Livestream with their software and /or the RTMP publishing feature in vMix.
Few months ago I tried it and it worked. It's possible only with their software.
thanks 1 user thanked r@wisla for this useful post.
davesuemcbride  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:52:03 PM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm happy in general with LiveStream - only quibbles I'd have is that the HD bitrate is a bit limited and they top out at only 720p30, whereas 1080p30 is how I master it. The LiveStream iOS app has been a little flaky for me as well on previously recorded content, but still seems better than the last UStream experience I had from about a year back. Not getting hit with viewer/hour charges for 'ad free' streaming pushed me over the edge to LiveStream.

That said, the streaming is solid, and the (free) LiveStream Producer encoder is quite polished - as good or better than FMLE, which you can't use for 'new' LiveStream anyway. I'd give yourself a day or two to practice and document the end to end configuration and operation. The video and audio inputs are specified on two different pages. For video you'd use the named vMix input, which should be available to choose once you've started external output. For audio you'd be in the 'mixer' dialog in Producer, and you'd just choose 'default DirectX'. This threw me for a loop (literally) - I'd missed 'default' the first time around and used 'speakers', which has issues with audio loops. Above names from memory, but close anyway. Make sure you test, test, and test ;)

Consider using vMix's recording feature at the same time you stream. Even at 16 mbit you get a beautiful local copy of the complete program that will look much better than you'd be able to download back from LiveStream, and the added load for recording is minimal, for MPG anyway.

The combo of vMix and LiveStream works great. I just finished an 8 hour broadcast using four RTSP streaming sources at 1080p30, along with a custom-written Flash overlay for ads, news, and race informaton. Not a single hiccup throughout - take a look at:

https://new.livestream.c...CalCup14/videos/45248127

There's a few places where the video breaks up 'bad satellite style', but then again these were 10 mbit and 7 mbit streams over Wi-Fi at several thousand feet. With better antenna alignment it could have been near-perfect. Good news is that the system as a whole handled flakey communications without much intervention.

As for machine requirements, I had (4) streaming cameras per above, the Flash overlay, local recording at 16 mbit, vMix's user interface and web service, and LiveStream Producer running at max bitrates and at all common resolutions, all on the one machine. It's a stock-clocked hexacore with 16 GB ram and a nice but still reasonable graphics card. CPU ran about ~50 percent throughout, and if need be I could overclock but haven't seen the need as yet.

One other thing to think about - if your broadcast is long you may want to break it into segments. LiveStream's player offers DVR functionality for both live and recorded material, but the granularity seems a bit coarse. For a really long broadcast you may have to wade through 10 minutes even with the finest of mouse clicks. In my case I just restarted at the natural breaks in the race schedule, with a target length of two hours or so for each segment. Depending on your event, placing a clock in your overlay may help viewers find the spot they're looking for.

Let me know if any other questions - I'm stoked about how it all came out and still have it all fresh in me head ;)
thanks 1 user thanked davesuemcbride for this useful post.
DDOtoo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:53:51 AM(UTC)
DDOtoo

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use livestream with Vmix and it works extremely well for me all the time. 2 way that I do it
1. Turn on external in Vmix and go to livestream webcaster on the internet or livestream studio and select video input as Vmix video and I am live! Problem though is that I will have to resize video output from Vmix which I do through zoom feature in the input settings

2. My preferred mode but extremely CPU consuming alternative is to use Livestream Procaster downloaded unto my pc. Be warned that procaster is a monster when it comes to CPU usage. I use 27inch iMac and you would think there should be enough power to go round yet procaster sometimes struggles to operate smoothly. Using procaster however gives all the features you will need for online broadcasting including encoding to H.264 and different levels of quality output to all gadgets and platforms. Simply select Vmix video in procaster and you are game. Procaster will also record a good quality local copy for you.

My setup is probably the simplest you can ever find - Decklink quad inside a sonnet enclosure connected via thunderbolt to my iMac streaming through Vmix install into bootcamp on iMac. Very simple yet extremely powerful.
thanks 1 user thanked DDOtoo for this useful post.