logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeR  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 1:58:45 AM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
We just did a new Skype capture video. If you will, let us know what you think of it and suggestions for ways for us to improve these shows will be much appreciated.

YouTube: http://youtu.be/d8w_SWMSmcI

Thanks!
radamo  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 9:17:07 AM(UTC)
radamo

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
GeorgeR wrote:
We just did a new Skype capture video. If you will, let us know what you think of it and suggestions for ways for us to improve these shows will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi George,

I saw your forst try of skype and tried to use vmix as a camera. It worked once and stopped . I first saw vmix in the sources tab of skype, but then, I selected it and it disappear definitely. I don't know why. I had this on 2 different computers with blackmagic USB3 intensity and decklink 4 cards. Must be a bug somewhere.( i started the external output of course).

For the returning screen of skype in vmix, i think you captred the screen of another PC with skype on it ? Is that what causes the audio delay ?

I would love to use skype too, but I have to understand first why i can't see vmix source in skype.

Olivier
GeorgeR  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 10:07:04 AM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

radamo wrote:
GeorgeR wrote:

Thanks!

Hi George,

I saw your forst try of skype and tried to use vmix as a camera. It worked once and stopped . I first saw vmix in the sources tab of skype, but then, I selected it and it disappear definitely. I don't know why. I had this on 2 different computers with blackmagic USB3 intensity and decklink 4 cards. Must be a bug somewhere.( i started the external output of course).

For the returning screen of skype in vmix, i think you captred the screen of another PC with skype on it ? Is that what causes the audio delay ?

I would love to use skype too, but I have to understand first why i can't see vmix source in skype.

Olivier

Hello Olivier,

This may be 2 different questions??

Using vMix for the Skype camera is pretty easy. Everything is done with 1 computer.
1. Start vix and add you inputs. Do NOT import any audio into vMix
2. Start the external output in vMix (bottom center button)
3. Open Skype; add your camera (vMix) and add your audio source for the Skype

Trying to use vMix as the Skype audio source has not worked well for me.

Importing Skype into vMix (2 computers)
1. Skype computer (computer #1): Set up your Skype call as usual and the outgoing audio source for Skype. I use the webcam the Skype caller sees me on for that audio.
2. The incoming Skype audio is router into my mixer and feed into my vMix computer (computer #2)
3. Start vMix's desktop capture app in the Skype computer (computer #1).
4. Add the Skype call-in as an input to the vMix computer as a desktop capture source.
5. Add "your audio" into the vMix computer (computer #2) as a stand-alone input.

You mentioned audio delay. The audio delay seemed minor and yes that may have been caused [???] by the transfer from computer #1 to computer #2 via vMix's desktop app. The audio delay may also be an nothing more than an inherit trait within Skype. In the past captured Skype calls another way. There were also audio delays present in those Skype calls too.

As far as Blackmagic, I do not have any of their devices; too costly for me. I'm using two stock Dell laptops. One is a Windows 7x64 (Skype Computer #1) and a Dell Windows 8.1x64 for vMix (computer #2).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
thanks 1 user thanked GeorgeR for this useful post.
radamo on 3/1/2014(UTC)
radamo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:36:34 AM(UTC)
radamo

Hi George,

Yes, you are wright, 2 differnets points. I have no problem to get skype in vmix (even if it is not 25 fps and a bit out of lipsync). What give me trouble is to use vmix as a camera.

i did exactly this sequence :
1) start vmix and add input (audio left to "none")
2) start the externat output in vmix
3) But here, i can't see vmix as a camera !

And what makes me crazy is that the first try i did, it was here, and i saw vmix in the tab, under my webcam. Now, impossible to see vmix in skype on 3 different PC, with vmix 11 and 12, with intensity shuttle usb3 BM and quadlink BM card, and several different version of skype, win7 and win 8.1

Be carefull to avoid to be in the same experience if you are in real live event !!

Olivier

thanks 1 user thanked radamo for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 3/1/2014(UTC)
GeorgeR  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 2:05:08 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

radamo wrote:
Hi George,

Yes, you are wright, 2 differnets points. I have no problem to get skype in vmix (even if it is not 25 fps and a bit out of lipsync). What give me trouble is to use vmix as a camera.

i did exactly this sequence :
1) start vmix and add input (audio left to "none")
2) start the externat output in vmix
3) But here, i can't see vmix as a camera !

And what makes me crazy is that the first try i did, it was here, and i saw vmix in the tab, under my webcam. Now, impossible to see vmix in skype on 3 different PC, with vmix 11 and 12, with intensity shuttle usb3 BM and quadlink BM card, and several different version of skype, win7 and win 8.1

Be carefull to avoid to be in the same experience if you are in real live event !!

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Did not realize, maybe I missed it, that you were live streaming the Skype sessions. I have not tried that [live streaming] but the streaming of your show and Skype on the same computer at the same could be the issue. After all, Skype is a video stream too. But then I am guessing when I say that.

With not having the same hardware here you have it would not be possible to duplicate or try that here.

There is another way to bring Skype into vMix for live streaming with Skype guests. It is one I have used in the past. And it works rather real too. This method requires 2 computers, a good TV or computer monitor, HDMI cable and a good camera as a capture from the TV or monitor.

The way I used to do these was to bring the Skype "video" onto my TV monitor with a HDMI cable from the Skype computer. The Skype audio from the computer was feed into the vMix computer with my mixer. In essence, you have a live guest in your studio but rather than being there in person they now appear via your TV.

It's almost the same setup as I talked about earlier using 2 computers expect a TV and HDMI cable is added into the mix.

The camera I used in these sessions to capture off my TV screen was a Canon XH A1s.

Here's a sample. This is with a good friend of mine. He is Skyping in with his iPad. At the start of the video you can see my TV. The capture camera is out of sight off to my left.

Skype Interview With Tom Britt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHq0H-zfJM

While I did not live stream these sessions it would be possible to do so via vMix.

George
SKYGIF  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:13:18 PM(UTC)
SKYGIF

Man

The big thin that everyone forgets to click is the START button to start the capture in vmix. It's along the bottom bar. Click it and you will instantly see your video in the skype window. Assuming you have all the other settings right.