logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zom-BeeTV  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:18:28 AM(UTC)
Zom-BeeTV

Groups: Registered

I can't seem to figure out the correct settings to make these devices jive at 23.976. I have no issues when the frame rate is set to 29.97. All specs make me believe that I should be able to capture at 1080p 23.976 but I just can't seem to figure out where I'm going wrong. I would very much appreciate help from anyone whom may have some insight on this set up.

Also, because I don't want to use the forum as my personal help site...... I thought I would let people know some of my thoughts on these devices.

Decklink Quad worked right out of the gate. I have read a lot of mixed reviews but I have to say it was a breeze to set up and works with Vmix perfectly.

The Atomos H2S is really well made. It comes with a ton of accessories and is really innovative. Expensive but versatile.

The Canon G30 is a nice camcorder overall. I had read a ton of reviews about it and was worried about its low light capabilities. I have come to the conclusion that they aren't that great indoors. You will need a ton of light to get a noise free image. Anyone used to using DSLR cameras will find it hard to go back to this size sensor. I guess that's the price you pay for auto focus.

I hope this is helpful for anyone looking into any of these devices. If your browsing through this forum because you're on the fence about Vmix..... Stop and just get yourself a copy. The software really is fantastic.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have about this 23.976 thing.
Egriswold  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:19:09 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
My first thought is why would you want to operate at 23.976fps ? is it because your goal is 24fps drop frame ?
All I can speak for is the BMD cards. These cards are designed to work at TV broadcast rates so that's why the only work at 29.97 and 59.94 or (23.98 for 1080p)
I have found even though a camera recording may be set 60p NDS the actual monitoring output is 59.94 mainly for compatibility with monitors.
Zom-BeeTV  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:31:03 PM(UTC)
Zom-BeeTV

Thanks Egriswold.

Yeah, maybe I'm just having a frame rate misunderstanding. We're shooting a show where we go in and out of movie clips which seem to be at 23.98. 24 progressive creates ghosting. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the correct setting would be to shoot a show that features clips from films. I'll take a closer look at the Blackmagic settings. Thanks for helping narrow this down.
Egriswold  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:03:39 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
If your playing back video files that were rendered at a lower frame rate I would recommend re-encoding them a a bit higher fps at least 29.97 or 30.
Now I have worked with video files that I rendered at 30 or even 29.97 which when done windows would report there fps being something different but I have not had any problems playing them back in vMix