logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vidnet  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:12:34 AM(UTC)
Vidnet

Groups: Registered

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and thanks for your time.
I am setting up a system for sports broadcasting and am using Vmix for my score board, overlays, sponsorship advert playbacks, lower thirds etc.
I am doing my main camera switching with an atem tvs that feeds into an input of vmix. I find this works very well but am stuck on an audio monitoring issue.
I am wanting my announcers to be able to monitor the audio so they can hear when advert breaks are starting and finishing. I am finding there is a noticeable delay if I give them a direct feed out of Vmix on my laptop. This is ok on the advert but unusable when they hear themselves back with up to a half second delay.
I can give them a feed direct from the mixer but they would only have their audio and not the breaks.
Any suggestions as to why there is such a delay and or a workaround please.

My setup is atem tvs with audio from a presonus1642 fed into fast laptop running vmix

Thanks
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:09:08 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
It would seem that despite the phenomenal speed of today's computers, "delay" is inherent to the processing of audio and video data. Some have been able to reduce that down to a few frames, but even that is noticeable to a lot of people, and that is most annoying and distracting for an announcer, so I feel your pain...
I would suggest sticking with visual queues if possible, are they able to monitor your visual output of vMix? This works great if they have a monitor next to them and also allows them to comment on instant replays, a slight delay there will be virtually unnoticeable.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Vidnet on 2/25/2014(UTC)
Vidnet  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:45:15 PM(UTC)
Vidnet

Thanks Ice, yes I think the vision monitor is the best way to go and was planning including that as well. I may also add talkback to cue them at a later stage. Appreciate your input.
ask  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:41:57 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You might also look at sending a mix-minus feed from the Presonus to the commentary team. They really don't need to hear the broadcast stream, rather just themselves and the producer. I'm in Melb if you want to chat at some time. Would be interested in sharing experiences.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
Vidnet on 2/26/2014(UTC)
petraproductions  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:45:29 AM(UTC)
petraproductions

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We use a mix-minus feed also for our sports broadcasts. We do give them a monitor of the broadcast so they can see what is going on but we don't want them to have the audio broadcast feed because given the chance they will start watching the commercials on the screen instead of listening to the producer, focusing on what is going on, or planning.

The monitor is helpful to them for the replays, graphics, cue timing, etc
thanks 1 user thanked petraproductions for this useful post.
Vidnet on 2/26/2014(UTC)
Vidnet  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:01:20 PM(UTC)
Vidnet

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I will definitely give them a mix minus from the desk.
A big thank you to Martin for producing VMix too ..... It has definitely filled a gap that I had in my system !!