logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joccahontas  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 7:12:00 PM(UTC)
Joccahontas

Groups: Registered
Norway

I'm very much a beginner in vMix, and I'm having some trouble understanding the live- and preview-overlays. In Wirecast I could queue up slides to send to live, but it's proving problematic in vMix. Example:

I have a feed called MAIN on overlay 1 that's always going to show. Sometimes I want to display an interview called I1 as a small box over this image on overlay 2, and sometimes I want to display two interviews called I2 in separate boxes, made as a multiview - also on overlay 2.

If I have MAIN on overlay 1 and I1 on overlay 2, can't I queue I2 as a preview and then fade to this on the same overlay 2 when the time is right? Right now if I preview I2 while I1 is active, I1 disappears and I2 only appears in the preview window.

I'm sorry if my question isn't really clear, please let me know if you can help and/or more information is needed.

Thanks!
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 7:18:30 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi, read about Multiview settings on Inputs in the help. Such picture-in-picure are better done via Multiview overlay (instead of downstream Overlay1-4).
Turning Multiview overlays on/off can easily be done with Shortcuts.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
Joccahontas on 6/24/2019(UTC)
Joccahontas  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 8:26:20 PM(UTC)
Joccahontas

Norway

Hey Richard, thank you very much for your reply. You're probably right, it is easier to make several multiviews with the inputs I need.

Unfortunately, this doesn't answer all of my questions. Namely, is it possible to queue up an input to an overlay while another input on the same overlay is being displayed live?

Say I have a MV on overlay 1 with one interview, but I want to queue up a different MV on overlay 1 in addition to a graphic on overlay 2. How would I go about doing this? Because as I mentioned in my initial post, this removes my current overlay 1 and send my preview directly to live.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Joccahontas  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 11:25:46 PM(UTC)
Joccahontas

Norway

I seem to have severaly misunderstood how layers in vMix work (total beginner, remember). I thought everything displayed on screen needed to be on overlay 1-4, but I realized that, as the name suggests, they function as overlays over whatever I choose to display.

Again, thank you for your answer. It helped me come to this conclusion :)
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 11:41:38 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
been there ;)
glad to help. enjoy vMix!