logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mkrigsman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 10:34:51 AM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Groups: Registered

I have been using a single camera to feed both vMix and Zoom simultaneously. There has never been a problem. Recently, vMix and Zoom both hang when attempting to access the camera at the same time.

Any ideas on whether in general there should be a problem if both programs attempt to share a single camera?
Joeboe  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 11:03:11 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Have you done any software updates for vMix, zoom or the video card, or even windows...if so, do a roll back to when it was working , and disable all updates for windows....I hate when that crap happens...all is working, and windows updates in the background, then all hell breaks loose....so do a restore to when it worked well....see if that fixed things
mkrigsman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 11:52:40 AM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
Have you done any software updates for vMix, zoom or the video card, or even windows...if so, do a roll back to when it was working , and disable all updates for windows....I hate when that crap happens...all is working, and windows updates in the background, then all hell breaks loose....so do a restore to when it worked well....see if that fixed things

I have replicated the problem on two different computers with different programs. Here is a summary of the situation:

1. Until recently, multiple applications could share a single webcam stream

2. Now, Windows programs cannot share a single webcam stream.

Based on my testing, this is a recent change by either Microsoft or Nvidia related to webcams. It has nothing to do with either Zoom or vMix. Perhaps it is a design change to prevent malware applications from hijacking a webcam without the user knowing. Or maybe it is a new bug. Either way, it's a pain in the ass.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 12:34:27 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This is most likely the result of a Windows update. Windows is not normally supposed to allow two programs to share a webcam. There's potential for conflict since each application might seek to configure the device differently.

There have been various third party ways around this for years. A couple years ago Microsoft introduced the idea of a webcam server that abstracted the device, allowing it to be shared. The first version seriously flawed, and broke the functionality of Skype with the world's most popular webcam, the Logitech C920, amongst others.

I suggest you use the external feature to allow vMix to send the webcam stream to the other application.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
mkrigsman on 6/9/2019(UTC)
mkrigsman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 1:09:23 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
This is most likely the result of a Windows update. Windows is not normally supposed to allow two programs to share a webcam. There's potential for conflict since each application might seek to configure the device differently.

There have been various third party ways around this for years. A couple years ago Microsoft introduced the idea of a webcam server that abstracted the device, allowing it to be shared. The first version seriously flawed, and broke the functionality of Skype with the world's most popular webcam, the Logitech C920, amongst others.

I suggest you use the external feature to allow vMix to send the webcam stream to the other application.

Yes precisely my plan. Very strange it has worked for so long. Could be they finally got around to fixing this particular bug.