logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boki  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:04:39 AM(UTC)
boki

Groups: Registered

Greetings all,

At the beginning, this is my first post and topic, and I hope it is in the correct part of the forum. I'm looking for advice and your opinion about the potential mobile setup for live events, that I am planning to make. I work in a church studio in Croatia, and now we have 5 Sony XDCAM Ex cameras and Sony MCS-8m vision switcher, we use it for recording church events, music festivals, lectures, etc., but we would like to upgrade it for mobile applications in OB van or trailer.

I used vMix demo last two months, and I liked it so I get the idea to use vMix instead of Sony switcher and connect cameras, tally and comms with Birddog studio trough NDI, my plan is to use two gigabit multicast enabled switches, one in the event area with POE to connect all cameras in it, and maybe for some outputs to the projector in hall or something like that, and another switch would be in my trailer to connect vMix PC, graphics PC, PC for recording etc. These two switches will be connected with 10gigabit SFP cable, my plan is to use Ubiquiti UniFi switches or something similar. So the main idea is to replace SDI cables and to replace a huge amount of cables in general with one from the OB trailer to switch, and from the switch, one cable to every camera.

Another question is about comms, now we use classic 4 pin xlr headsets, so do you maybe know if it is possible to adapt it to 3.5mm jack for birddog input?

So what do you think about the setup? Is there going to be enough network bandwith for everything, and what latency I can expect if I'm planning to play live mix on the projectors, and tv's in venues, I'm planning to work in 1080/50p.

Thank you for your time and answer

Boris
mavik  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 5:24:46 PM(UTC)
mavik

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Your setup sounds good and should work. Please remember that a single NDI signal is approx. 100 Mbit/s. A single Gbit Port of a switch should be able to manage 5-6 NDI signals. If you only have 5 cameras you won't need a 10 G link. If you have more NDI traffic (vMix workstation maybe) then you should consider a 10 G setup.

My setup looks like this if I do some live concert streaming. (= 10G; - 1G)
vmix = 10G Switch = 1G PoE Switch - Birddog Studio - Cam
Hardware that I use
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in (there is a 8 Port available as well)
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs328_24p_4s_rm

You would need a 10G Card in your computer as well.