logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jip  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 2:01:59 PM(UTC)
jip

Groups: Registered
Estonia

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi all,

does anyone have any experience how would a 2013 Retina Macbook Pro 15" (quad-core) suffice for 1080p/i mixing and streaming from 3-4 SDI or HDMI capture? There is versions with Iris Pro (integrated) gpu and nvidia dedicated gpu? If a desktop system with Nvidia GT610 gpu runs vmix smoothly, would the integrated gpu be fast enough for the same use?
jkmakela  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:04:35 PM(UTC)
jkmakela

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have tested vmix trial with MBP retina late 2013, nividia graphics, win 8.1 pro

Combination of BMD minirecorder and output to mini monitor works fine. External monitor from MBP hdmi stutters with mini recorder (1050 50i and 720 50p), but that is probably MBP hdmi issue because it is same problem also with Resolume VJ software. Retina display support is not perfect, but you can use vmix if you do not need the best retina resolution.

I have not tested any quad pci cards with external thunderbolt enclosure. Martin seem to use one with pc laptop.

Be aware that if you are using bootcamp mac, you have to use the graphics drivers apple offers (I presume). They may not always be the best ones for your grpahics card and there are not many settings you can tune. This is one of the reasons we are building separate rack server pc. We may use MBP in small webinars, one camera shoots where rack on wheels is too much.